Transition to standing..........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all

Don't know if this is common to everybody, or whether I'm just a freak ;). When I'm cycling and come to a steep hill, I go as far as I can still seated and transfer to standing when the going gets tough. Problem is that when I stand, the first few pedal strokes REALLY put my upper legs through "the burn". And it is immensely uncomfortable, almost to the point of bringing me to a halt. Have had to get straight back into the saddle more than once.

Is there an explanation for this? Am I just incredibly unfit, bike set up wrong, or do we all suffer similarly?

Cheers, Andy :biggrin:

rusky

CC Addict
When I started cyclng I still got pain in my upper legs for 3-4months & that was just normal riding, not standing!

I don't get up out of the saddle for hills, just change gear & spin!

MajorMantra

Sounds like you may just be pushing yourself a bit hard at this stage - you need to build up your legs a bit. :biggrin:

Maybe try some standing sprints on the flat to see how that compares?

Matthew

jimboalee

When I delivered evening papers as a young schoolboy, I would lock up my bike and carry the bag of papers up a twelve storey block of flats using the stairway.

On days I felt I needed some extra punishment, I would climb the stairs two steps at a time.

Maybe that's where all the low cadence power came from????? :biggrin:

Twanger

Über Member
BilboSmeggins said:
Is there an explanation for this? Am I just incredibly unfit, bike set up wrong, or do we all suffer similarly?

Cheers, Andy :biggrin:

How old are you? My quads still ache after 6 months and 1500 miles. I'm 50. I don't remember this amount of stiffness the last time I was commuting by bike 20 years ago, so I put it down to decrepitude and old age.

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
Hi all

I'm with you on the "sit 'n' spin", but when I'm already in the lowest gear it's not always so simple. There probably is a chance that I'm pushing a bit hard. I was hoping to joing a club, and was under the impression that I needed to be able to average around 15mph, and I have pushed towards that. On my last outing I managed 16.3mph over 38 miles of fairly undulating terrain. And I felt every one of them :sad:.

I'm 47 years old, and probably about 2 stone over weight, so I'm no athlete :biggrin:. Guess I need to build up a little more gradually?

snorri

Legendary Member
I've never quite understood what is so terribly wrong about dismounting and pushing the bike uphill when there is a risk of breaking sweat. It is called a push-bike after all.:biggrin:

:sad:

jimboalee

snorri said:
I've never quite understood what is so terribly wrong about dismounting and pushing the bike uphill when there is a risk of breaking sweat. It is called a push-bike after all.:biggrin:

:biggrin:

Defeatist :sad:

Just stand up and ride the thing up the hill like your carrying a bag full of newspapers up a stairway two steps at a time. :laugh:

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
snorri said:

:sad:

With my new SPD shoes, walking uphill would probably require me walking backwards, making my push-bike a pull-bike............:laugh:

gf1959

Whether seated or standing i don't get burning thighs anymore,but i certainly did whilst trying to get fit by climbing. I think the more you do it,especially if you can grit your teeth and just endure it,then in time the muscles will strengthen and the problem should improve. The po doesn't say how often he cycles or how steep the hills are,but perseverance is always rewarded i find. Granted getting there can be hell,but that's what makes us cyclists special!

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
Somewhat shamefully, I get out once a week at best. As regards steepness of hill, I'm not sure of the necessary calculations, but the offending hill, according to google earth, rises 409ft over exactly one mile. Ok, you can all stop sniggering now. That hill is more like a pimple to you all no doubt. But to me, it is Kilimanjiro........:biggrin:

accountantpete

Brexiteer
2 points

1) Don't leave it until the last minute to change.Look ahead as to when you are likely to need to stand,select the right gearing and then change before you would normally do.This way you can get a bit more momentum going and lessen the sudden impact of the shift.

2) I presume that when climbing you are just pressing down on the pedals,in which case when you stand up you continue to use many of the muscles that have become fatigued. Best bet is to go clipless and bring some more muscles into play.

Whoops ,I see you have already got spd's- try climbing just pulling back on the pedals and then switching to pressing down on them when the muscles become fatigued etc.

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
I do try to be as ready as I can with forthcoming gears, 'cos I know how little reserve I've got to fall back on. And yes, I have been trying to pull the pedals as well as push them, but do realise that the "pulling muscles" are totally undeveloped as yet, only having been on one outing with SPD's.

What I don't get is that the "burn" is only for the initial first few strokes. If I can grit through the searing pain then the burn fades and I can get on with tackling the hill. It literally is just as I stand up. :biggrin:

Top Bottom