Transpennine Trail - Leeds to Hornsea - Done!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Again small apologies to the Leeds lot who I backed out of a ride in favor of this:

I'd wanted to do the Transpennine route for a while, combination of things made it favourable to do the route this last weekend so I set off to do the 135(+14bonus) miles on Saturday.

Aware I had the rain behind me somewhere I needed to cover the 60+ miles of day 1 to be at my hotel by 1600ish. Afraid lack of pannier meant camping was out although TBH I wanted the warm room!

Its a nice windy trail from Leeds down to Wakefield on a mixture of trail/quiet roads. Nice scenary and a good start with some highlights including a look at a different part of the Aire and Calder Navigation and a surprise find of the Barnsley Canal (now closed) which I followed for a short few miles.

Unfortunately the next few miles through Barnsley were marred by grim surroundings and an abundance of glass on the paths, was lucky and the fairy stayed away!

The route here meets the East/West trail with also a choice to head south to Sheffield if you wanted. Heading east towards Doncaster I had possible the best scenery as you pass through RSPB 'old moor', a reclaimed coal pit now a wetland I hunkered down in a spotters hut for my butties before continuing.

Turning north at Doncaster for some miles of mostly forgettable scenery before meeting another canal the 'New Junction Canal' which gave me a good run onto mostly B roads through small east Yorkshire villages. Several gated railway crossings (with keeper!) are in the area and had a breather at one whilst I waited for 2 trains to pass.

Coming to the end of Day 1 I hit Snaith and with a quick stop for an evening paper I headed to my hotel 'The Royal Oak Pub', which was shut!

No panic though as a quick call to the owner who was down the road running an errand, opened up for me (stored bike inside thank you landy!). Later in the evening the chasing rain found me but by then was safely inside by the coal fire. Had a quiet but nice evening and went to bed looking forward to the slightly longer Day 2.

Day 2 opened with a full English to fuel the day and a slightly gloomy start but no rain as I headed north to Selby. Turning East here you follow the River Ouse or roads near it until you hit the Humber for the first time. Even at low tide it is still a huge river and the mostly B/single track road meant I was making excellent time.

Definitely a less scenic beginning than Day 1 with the exception of the Wolds Way Country Park, contained a memorial to two boys who discovered some of the earliest known boats dating back to 2000BC! Certainly made interesting reading whilst chomping down on the chocolate refuel.

Leaving the park it became grim again as several miles though Hull had to be covered before following the Hornsea Rail Trail to, well Hornsea! Several disused stations along this relatively short line show how important the train once was but no time for sight seeing as the clocks had Brough night time a little closer so at more or less sunset I hit the 135miles and Hornsea! Done(ish)

I had to turn around to go back to Hull (for the extra 14 miles) for my bed at a friends, night really did draw in and I could have done with my Magicshine that's still somewhere in the internet but the Smart/Halfords combo coped and were certainly better than the 2 ninjas I met. Kinda funny but in a cruel way one of them fell off a at style as they presumably couldn't see it!

So....

All in all a good but hard (for me) trip. My Carradice Barley was a squeeze but being able to mount the unused waterproofs on the top straps helped, cleverer packing next time will put more on the bike than the bag (a small handlebar bag would be ideal) or even looking ahead mounting a pannier rack to carry tent/bag combo.

So 150 mile, mostly track/B roads and at worst grotty but best beautiful coupled with cool but dry weather meant for a nice first tour, no idea on average speed as computer packed up last week but spent an average of 8 hours ish a day in the saddle/resting. Happy I was able to cover the 70/80 miles days without too much pain but I'm acutely aware it is a very flat route compared to some. Will have to build up my climbing skills!

Bike was an rigid Carrera Subway, with Barley Bag and no backpack.

I have some pics to share once I upload from phone.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Nice account.

The Carrera Subway is an underrated bike. My son had one and had great difficulty in damaging it. He went into mourning when it was stolen.

I've looked at the prospect of cycling the Transpennine Route and it never occurred to me to cycle along the connector from Leeds and do half of it.

Looks like a nice weekend ride for warmer weather - I prefer tents to B&B :smile:

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Nice account.

The Carrera Subway is an underrated bike. My son had one and had great difficulty in damaging it. He went into mourning when it was stolen.

I've looked at the prospect of cycling the Transpennine Route and it never occurred to me to cycle along the connector from Leeds and do half of it.

Looks like a nice weekend ride for warmer weather - I prefer tents to B&B :smile:

The Royal Oak is also a campsite, and on the trail - http://www.royaloakinnhirstcourtney.co.uk/ Lamdlord said through the summer he gets a lot of cyclists, with a group of 25 being his biggest booking.

The Leeds Connector is a nice ride in itself, if I wanted I could do a day ride to sheffield and get the train back, although I've ridden part of the trail in Sheffield and its grim again!

The 'Sub was a real workhorse, only thing lacking was perhaps clips/straps as I dont normally do long stints of pedaling, and also a front fork just to ease my passing.

Other than that, loved it, I've definately overworked 1 knee as its a bit swolen but the aches are easing and a few days rest will have me back in the saddle.

Ps Ends today but you can get an 18" Sub One For £182 http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...arrera||teq||Suspension||Rigid||sor||Price||1

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Thanks for that - I'm planning to do the whole Transpennine Trail from Southport to Hornsea sometime in May/June next year. To get that done I'm guessing it'll take about 3 days without pushing too hard (80 miles/day).

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Not bad for a £30 Nokia, but it may be time for a new phone....

Anyway:

Aire and Calder Navigation

I go past this quite a lot on a route I do around Leeds, the canal is mostly quiet at this end these days but is fully useable for even the 700 tonne barges of old!

Image003.jpg

A closed pub in Stanley I think, The Yew Tree but the pic of the sign is not clear....
Image007.jpg

Image009.jpg

Back onto the Aire and Calder east of Wakefield, lots more barges here.
Image010.jpg

A surprise find the Barnsley Canal, now sadly disused there are plans to rewater it, you follow this for some miles and is very scenic.
Image011.jpg

Conisborough Viaduct from the other side
Image012.jpg

Old fashioned manual crossing, this is near Thorpe in Balne north of Doncaster
Image013.jpg

Two trains and an old phone
Image014.jpg

Image015.jpg

Image016.jpg

This is either Hessle or Drax power station, once both Coal they are being converted to locally grown bio fuel. Landlord of hotel said he gets lots of workers staying.
Image017.jpg

Ooh its Spiny's bridge, or the other one of the same type. Anyway this is the Grand Junction Canal. Very few barges but there was one going through the single lock in the middle further down. Last of the day 1 pictures.
Image018.jpg

RAF Burn, now closed and used by gliders.
Image019.jpg

Swing bridge at Selby, interestingly on the way home on monday the train goes over this bridge:smile:
Image020.jpg

Tidal barrage at Barmby on the Marsh, stops the River Ouse from flooding the River Derwent
Image021.jpg

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
George Street bridge bridge, loking towards Clarence Street bridge
Image030.jpg

Skirlaugh railway station, and my bike!
Image031.jpg

Whitedale railway station on the Hornsea Rail Trail
Image032.jpg

End of the line! Hornsea Station
Image033.jpg

And done! 135ish miles at this point, roughly 15 back to my friends in Hull
Image034.jpg

So, would I do it again? Definately:thumbup:

Bodhbh

Guru
Famous fountain in Hull, just out of shot to the left are three drunks swigging from some cider! Apparently this is a middle class area, well maybe for hull lol

Ha, cheers for the pics. Might be doing some of it next week (visiting Chester, but need to get to the east coast and fit a visit into Leeds during the following week). I've followed it between Stockport and Doncaster, and tbh alot of it I found quite dull, following the old railway line as it does and fairly unchanging, but those pics make that section look a little more lively.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
The Hornsea rail trail was the best of the old lines as so many of the stations are still there, but yes a some of this isnt the greatest views. I completely neglected to take any of RSPB Old Moor which was easily the most picturesque.

Its a bit of an industrial memory trail at times, a lot of railways, canals, factories etc But that is the par for the course for the yorkshire area.

Top Bottom