Transpennine Trail / TPT - Campsites

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi All,

I'm planning my first ever tour/overnight camping on the TPT from Southport to Hornsea. I need to have stops at roughly 75 and 150 miles to make a 3 day trip possible. I've got the 3rd day ok (The Royal Oak, Snaith) which I have stayed in before but this time I'll use their camping facilities.

I'm struggling though to find a site at 75ish miles in, there is one at 50mile and one at 87miles assuming I stick to the TPT give or take a mile or so. Other than that - zip, nothing, diddly squat lol

I can find some B&B's that are recommended and on the route and at 75 miles, but I've got my heart set on this being my first camping trip and I dont want use a B&B for day one and to be lugging my tent etc for 2 days before I use it. Also the Royal Oak, though nice, is expensive at £45 a night for a room hence my choice to camp all the way.

So can anyone help with either a very good camping search engine (the one I have tried cant find anything) or can recommend a campsite in the Hadfield area?

If not, I guess this will be a B&B tour after all as I'm not up to doing nearly 90 miles on day 1 with a loaded bike....yet lol!

Crowden? Good basic camp site - and it's got a shop. About 4-5 miles before you get to Hadfield. I've stayed there several times.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Crowden? Good basic camp site - and it's got a shop. About 4-5 miles before you get to Hadfield. I've stayed there several times.

Ah sorry I should have mentioned > I'm going West to East. Crowden is the one I've found at 87 miles for me (from Southport)^_^

If I was more experienced/fitter, I would go for this on day 1. But I'm really consious that with luggage I may struggle to hit the high 70's never mind high 80's in a day!

Crowden is a nice campsite, your best bet for campsite searches is ukcampsite.co.uk.

You might want to just take some on-road shortcuts between stockport and Hadfield as the TPT can get a bit rough in places and make progress slow going. Or even get the train from Godley to Hadfield and save yourself a couple of climbs

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
There's the TPT Accommodation guide; ISBN 978190146418 which I've got.

Where are you looking to stay en-route? I'll then post them up. It lists a campsite in Hesketh Bank (PR4 6XP), one at Rixton WA3 6HU and then others further on.

I'll be doing a B&B tour (yep, I'm lazy and like home comforts) of the TPT West-East at the end of June, although nothing's booked yet.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Hmm - puzzler. The great camping black hole :sad:

this says there's a site just above Hadfield? http://www.peakdistrict-hotel.co.uk/Caravanning.htm It's the search engine I use mostly - that, and an OS map with symbols!

Fwiw - Hadfield to Crowden is pretty gentle - mostly on old railway line (iric).
Hmm - puzzler. The great camping black hole :sad:

this says there's a site just above Hadfield? http://www.peakdistrict-hotel.co.uk/Caravanning.htm It's the search engine I use mostly - that, and an OS map with symbols!

Fwiw - Hadfield to Crowden is pretty gentle - mostly on old railway line (iric).

Good spot cheers! ^_^

I'm going to think on it, I'm tempted to thrown caution to the wind and do an early start day 1 and get the 90 miles (lets call it 90 lol) under my belt, and I think it'll set me up nicely for the monster climb into the pennines Day 2. I know from about halfway thorugh day 2 its basically flat as well so I can take it a bit easier - I did Leeds to Horsea via Barnsley on the TPT last year so know what to expect there.....

That one you have found is tempting though as it mentions bar and real ale hic!

Crowden is a nice campsite, your best bet for campsite searches is ukcampsite.co.uk.

You might want to just take some on-road shortcuts between stockport and Hadfield as the TPT can get a bit rough in places and make progress slow going. Or even get the train from Godley to Hadfield and save yourself a couple of climbs

How rough really? I'm on a hybrid 700*28c, I've been on a fair bit of rough stuff already and found it ok going. Only some very sticky mud on a bridleway (and uphill lol) nearly beat me so far.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
There's the TPT Accommodation guide; ISBN 978190146418 which I've got.

Where are you looking to stay en-route? I'll then post them up. It lists a campsite in Hesketh Bank (PR4 6XP), one at Rixton WA3 6HU and then others further on.

I'll be doing a B&B tour (yep, I'm lazy and like home comforts) of the TPT West-East at the end of June, although nothing's booked yet.

The Royal Oak - Snaith - Thats my 150 miler, its a pub/B&B and does camping. I've stayed there before and pricey for a single person at £45 but its is at a good spot and this time I'd be camping if I can find/get to a day 1 site ok. Its very popular as well with TPT cyclists and the owner said his record was 40+ in one group (they kept him up till 3am drinking apparently lol

Hikers and Bikers - Hadfield - Thats my 75 miler (if I'm B&B ing), no experience of this one.

The ones you list (Hesketh Bank) would be useful to stay over at the night before for the early start but I won't need it as I can stay with relatives near start. The other one is the one I think is too short for me for a 3 day trip, it would be useful though for anyone wanting to do it over 4 days.

I'm aiming for a campsite near Hadfield and I've found one (above) thanks to growing vegatables

DCLane

That's fine; my basic plan is a 1 day plus 2 travel-and-ride days (hopefully) which would mean 2 B&B's. Alternatively it's two day's riding with stops at Southport, Penistone and Hornsea but I think that's asking too much.

I'll probably be using the Carrera or Secteur, so it'll be 700x25 at best!

How rough really? I'm on a hybrid 700*28c, I've been on a fair bit of rough stuff already and found it ok going. Only some very sticky mud on a bridleway (and uphill lol) nearly beat me so far.

I've only done it on 26"x1.75" tyres and found it a bit of a slog in places. The part near Brinnington just before it crosses over the M60 is pretty rough with rocks in the path and uphill to boot, and I've found that some of the parts along the mersey (didsbury) can be right pain with sand, gravel and generally uneven surfaces.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
That's fine; my basic plan is a 1 day plus 2 travel-and-ride days (hopefully) which would mean 2 B&B's. Alternatively it's two day's riding with stops at Southport, Penistone and Hornsea but I think that's asking too much.

I'll probably be using the Carrera or Secteur, so it'll be 700x25 at best!
I've only done it on 26"x1.75" tyres and found it a bit of a slog in places. The part near Brinnington just before it crosses over the M60 is pretty rough with rocks in the path and uphill to boot, and I've found that some of the parts along the mersey (didsbury) can be right pain with sand, gravel and generally uneven surfaces.

Ok sounds like I'll be ok, with care. So a longer/slower day on day 1 through the 'rough stuff', bit faster but lots of climbs day 2 over the pennines and then into east yorkshire and day 3 should fly by on the flats from Snaith to Hornsea.

Just to add something to the end - I need to turn around at Hornsea and go back to Hull to stay at a friends there. But I did it last time and that last section seemed to fly by in an hour or less going back.....

Ok sounds like I'll be ok, with care. So a longer/slower day on day 1 through the 'rough stuff', bit faster but lots of climbs day 2 over the pennines and then into east yorkshire and day 3 should fly by on the flats from Snaith to Hornsea.

Yeah, you'll have fun pushing up over Woodhead but once you're back on the road at the top you'll be flying.

potsy

Rambler
That's part of my off road commute, if it's been wet or is still a bit muddy I wouldn't want to be on anything less than 32mm tyres,in the dry it's not too bad though,

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Yeah, you'll have fun pushing up over Woodhead but once you're back on the road at the top you'll be flying.

Hehe I'm looking forward to it - I've got a couple of practice 'climbs' lined up in the Otley/Ilkley area before I go for this.

That's part of my off road commute, if it's been wet or is still a bit muddy I wouldn't want to be on anything less than 32mm tyres,in the dry it's not too bad though,

I've been debating with upgrading to 32's TBH and I am still tempted buts its self defeating if I spend the money I save on camping instead of B&Bs on new tyres. Then again I can use the tyres more than once.....

hmm decisions decisions!

DCLane

Thanks - my alternative's the Python Impact DD MTB which has 2.1" knobblies on. The thought of doing 210 miles on this isn't one I've considered, although I'd put different tyres on.

Top Bottom