Transpennine Trail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mickwood

Hi,

Has anybody done this trail from Manchester to Liverpool? I'm thinking of flagging it up as a target for me on my road bike (Trek 1.2). From Chesterfield to Liverpool - My parents live there! I'll be looked after when I get there ;o)

Cheers

Mick

Cranky

mickwood said:
Hi,

Has anybody done this trail from Manchester to Liverpool? I'm thinking of flagging it up as a target for me on my road bike (Trek 1.2). From Chesterfield to Liverpool - My parents live there! I'll be looked after when I get there ;o)

Cheers

Mick

I've done most of that route but it was a few years ago so can't remember it in detail. However, I think there were quite a few stretches of old railway paths and other trails (and there generally are on these Sustrans-type routes). I'd be cautious about using a road bike and would recommend at least a tourer or hybrid. I use an MTB with semi-slicks for these trips and am often grateful for it.

simoncc

I ride the bit between Altrincham and Lymm quite often. In winter it can be far too much for a road bike. A tourer with decent 28mm tyres is the minimum requirement. It's often a mudbath. The bits between Lymm and Warrington can be quite bad too.

WE abandoned this two years ago as the flooding in Toll Bar, Doncaster ans surrounding area made it impossible.

The route from Liverpool to Penistone was muddy in places but not impassible my main memory is motorcycle barriers.

I completed this on a recumbent with standard Marathon Plus, so a decently shod road bike should be no problem

Woodhead_Pass.jpg

Woodhead Pass

2004_0101TPT20070008.jpg

A bit wet in places

Top Bottom