Transporting HPGT - what rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spiro

I have just got a HPGT which probably fits quite easily into most estate and possibly saloon cars but my Peugeot 607 has a low appeture between the boot and passenger compartment which means you have to remove the handlebars. I was thinking of getting a rack but need one that goes on the back of the car/boot (no tow bar) and ideally does not obscure the lights. Any suggestions for a suitable rack? I found one trawling the net that said it held three bikes and should fit my car but each bike should weigh no more that 12.5kg.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Mine has done a few hundred miles on a mate's halfrauds thula-a-like roof mount. Don't know what the weight rating was, but had no issues and he drives waaaay faster than I, brakes late, and corners like the Nokia snake.

byegad

Legendary Member
I tried my AZUB on a rack suspended from the boot and didn't like it, it swayed and looked ready to let go or damage the car so I fitted a tow bar. With a Thule three bag tow bar mounted carrier we took two bikes to France 1700 hard fast miles round trip and it was rock solid.

I suppose it depends how far you want to carry it and how you drive. Taken gently a rack as you suggest should be OK.

Top Bottom