Transporting meths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Is there a way of carrying meths with me that is just enough to boil a cup of water, but doesnt take up a huge amount of space?
I made a meths burner today and tested it. The burner can fit in the saddlebag with my tools and inner tube, but i cant just put meths in it because it will leak. So any ideas? Water is easy and i will probably get a small mess tin or something along those lines to use to boil water or some food. Going to give it a go in using it if i get hungry or fancy a cup of coffee and i'm out on my bike for most of the day and dont want to go to a cafe.
So i need a way of getting some meths along with me, any ideas. Cant just put a bottle in one of my bottle holders because that will have my drinks. Thought about a small bottle with just enough in in one of my back pockets or in the saddle bag(wont get squashed if i come off) with the burner in my jersey pocket and cup in a back pocket.
What do you reckon then?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Err....you can get perfectly good gas burners these modern days that don't leak and don't need messy refilling. Mind you, you can't drink it though!

OP
OP
J

Joe24

Yes, i have one thanks:biggrin:
But its too big to put in the saddle bad or jersey pocket even if i do take it appart.
I could use fire but thats too messy really, and with no real way of cleaning the stuff i have used its stupid.
So i'm going for meths, which isnt as messy:biggrin:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Outdoors shops sell assorted small plastic bottles, such as this Coghlan's set, which are plenty sturdy enough to hold small amounts of meths without risk of spillage.
I'd suggest using a metal mug, storing the burner inside it, and using the mug as a pot for heating your brew.

Take care not to burn your lips ;)

Sigg do fuel specific flasks

sigfuel.gif

Howeverthey are increasingly difficult to get hold of. MSR do an equivalent Their "One Night Stand" at 11oz (300 mls) sounds ideal for your needs

msrbottles.gif

bonj2

you're presumably going to have a bag of some sort to carry the tin that the water is going to go in while it boils, so take the meths in a small 'panda pops' type bottle in that.

curious as to this 'ere burner - is it the sort with a metal lid on a wide bottle with a section of thick rope coming through a hole in the lid? would it be powerful enough to boil water?
make sure you test it outdoors (i.e. in wind).

OP
OP
J

Joe24

andrew_s said:
Outdoors shops sell assorted small plastic bottles, such as this Coghlan's set, which are plenty sturdy enough to hold small amounts of meths without risk of spillage.
I'd suggest using a metal mug, storing the burner inside it, and using the mug as a pot for heating your brew.

Take care not to burn your lips ;)

That mug is just what i've been looking for. Cant find any shops around here that sell them though, so going to have to search around.
I think i've seen those bottles aswell, so i'll go into a camping shop and see if they have those in, and/or the Sigg or MSR flasks.
The water is going to be in my bottle, the burner will go in one of those mugs if i can find one, and the bottle of meths can either go in a back pocket or the saddle bag.
Bonj, its the bottoms of two bean cans that i have joined together and put holes in. Boiled a kettle yesterday in not too bad of a time, there was probably about 2.5cups worth in there aswell. Works pretty well, but i will have to see how long it lasts and maybe will do one out of a coke can instead.

Cheers :biggrin:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Gerry Attrick said:
Err....you can get perfectly good gas burners these modern days that don't leak and don't need messy refilling. Mind you, you can't drink it though!

Wray and Nephews white cane spirit is perfectly drinkable and can be used in a spirit burner too. Why anyone would want to squander the stuff on making an inferior non-alcoholic drink is beyond me though.:wacko:

vernon

Cunobelin said:
Sigg do fuel specific flasks

sigfuel.gif

Howeverthey are increasingly difficult to get hold of. MSR do an equivalent Their "One Night Stand" at 11oz (300 mls) sounds ideal for your needs

msrbottles.gif

I've found that that meths seems to react with the Sigg bottles and some sort of sludgy precipitate forms. It doesn't afect the burning of the meths but it does leave a deposit in the bottoms of my Trangia burners.

vernon

hubgearfreak said:
one of these, but make sure you label it so it doesn't get confused with your scotch

Hip_Flask.jpg

This is waht I use for my white can spirits as mentioned elsewhere in this thread. Does an excellent job too.

Top Bottom