Travel insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Most tales one hears about folks claiming on travel insurance run something like "Thieving scrotes took my money then quibbled when i had a problem"

I'd like to relate a completely opposite experience: Exemplary service!

We bank with First Direct, and take their add on "First directory" package which includes travel insurance.

Wife had a skiing fall on 24 December - Fractures (fortunately all minor not requiring splinting or surgery) to Pelvis, shoulder and thumb. A single phone call from me to their Emergency Line and their system kicked in:
  • Authorisation for me and family to extend stay as long as needed
  • Assurance to me that all necessary additional costs (eg taxis to visit @130Euro a pop) would be covered
  • Fax to hotel covering invoices for extended stay
  • Direct liaison with hospital to cover costs
  • Medical liaison with doctors re wifes condition and status for travel
  • Arranging of ambulance transfer to Geneva and from Heathrow to our local NHS hospital
  • Business class seats for return flight
  • Phone calls to me and wife each day updating on what they had done and checking her status.
Everything worked perfectly and i had absolutely nothing to do but visit the hospital and administer TLC and take the piss as she hobbled around on a zimmer frame - the insurance company did everything and took off all the pressure in what could have been a stressful situation.

PS DO take your EHIC card with you when travelling in Europe: Daily rate in the moutiers hospital was 1,100Euro, of which the EHIC card covered 80% (Balance paid direct by insurance cover)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Excellent service!

I hope your wife makes a rapid recovery.

Top Bottom