Tricross vs Tricross Sport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossjevans

Hi All,

First post here but I have been reading the forum for the last month or so.

After not riding a bike since I was 8 years old tearing around on a Raleigh mountain bike, I want to start cycling again, sparked off by some crazy idea of me and a friend doing LEJOG next year. I have been looking around for a new bike and I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Specialized Tricross since it seems to get very good reviews as an 'all in one' bike - I didn't just want a bike for LEJOG only.

My question is, as a newbie is it worth spending the extra £250 for the Sport version over the standard model? From what I can tell the only difference is with the drivetrain, the frame looks to be the same. What benefits will I get from spending the extra money?

These are the differences I can see from doing a comparison on the Spec website.

Tricross vs Tricross Sport

FRONT DERAILLEUR
Shimano 2300

Shimano Tiagra

REAR DERAILLEUR
Shimano 2300

Shimano Deore LX

SHIFT LEVERS
Shimano 2300 STI

Shimano Tiagra STI

CASSETTE
Shimano HG-50, 8-speed, 13-26t

Shimano HG-50, 9-speed, 11-32t

CHAIN
KMC Z-51

HG-73

CRANKSET
Shimano 2300

Shimano Tiagra

Many Thanks,
Ross.

festival

Über Member
short answer... Yes

long answer.... if you intend getting fit and used to riding before the big event then plan to buy a better bike for the lejog then save your money to put towards the next bike.
if you plan to use this bike throughout then spend the extra now. you will need to have the bike serviced before the big day and the
9 speed parts are likely to be more available for replacement or upgrade.

Where are you getting the bike from and have you researched your needs e.g. fit

ACS

Legendary Member
As the owner of 2 of the said items (both Sport) I would say yes Sport is the better investment by far. However, the wheels that come with the Sport are mediocre and thats me being polite.

I use one for commuting (56cm frame) standard wheels, rack, panniers lights etc. My other Tricross (58cm frame) I use for everything else, sportive, audax, general riding for fitness. I have upgraded the wheels to Roval Pave (from a 09 Tricross comp), replacing the chainset with 105 triple in the next week or so and the saddle is now a Brooks.

A Tricross is a superb utility bike, doing most things adequately. If you plan touring get a tourer, fast riding get a road bike, mountains............you get the idea.

Want a jack of all, get a Tricross.

Norm

I would (I did!) go with the Sport.

The thing that swung it for me was the gears on the back wheel. The 2300 on the rear of the base model is road kit, as is the 13-26t cassette. The Deore LX on the Sport is from their MTB range, as is (arguably) the 11-32t cassette, I use my Tricross off-road quite a bit and the longer arm and lower gear do get used.

The other thought is that the Tiagra is two steps up from 2300 kit. If it was Tiagra vs Sora, then £250 on the next model may not be as easy a decision.

Just my decision and brain-dumps from when I made the choice myself just over 12 months ago. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
R

rossjevans

Many thanks for your comments guys.

short answer... Yes

long answer.... if you intend getting fit and used to riding before the big event then plan to buy a better bike for the lejog then save your money to put towards the next bike.
if you plan to use this bike throughout then spend the extra now. you will need to have the bike serviced before the big day and the
9 speed parts are likely to be more available for replacement or upgrade.

Where are you getting the bike from and have you researched your needs e.g. fit

festival,
My intention is to ride lejog on the bike that I am about to purchase. In that sense, I would agree that it would be better to spend the extra now if it means that I get higher quality and easy to source components.

I plan to buy the bike from my LBS which deals in Specialized quite heavily and is local to me so I can get it serviced without a problem and bike can be fitted upon purchase. Research on this bike has mostly consisted of reading this forum as well as LEJOG blogs from people who have completed it on a Tricross. Prior to this I nearly bought a Sirrus and my LBS was only too happy to let me test ride one so I am assuming this would be the case for the Tricross too.

XjayV

I rate the Tricross sport. The Tiagra groupset has been good for me.

Check out my blog for pictures of the new wheels that I put on it. I thought the wheels that came with it were crap.

XjayV

Top Bottom