tricross which bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
Tricross is a brand name for a hybrid type bike with drop type handlebars produced by Specialized.

You will get great advice on here, if you describe what kind of cycling you are planning to do, the more detail the better.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
As per VamP's comments, Tricross is a specific Specialized brand. You get 3 Tricross bikes, in order of value,
Tricross £750, Tricross Sport £900, Tricross Elite £1200.

Do you mean a cyclocross CX bike?
What is your budget?
What do you want the bike to do?

I am in the process of upgrading my commuter from a hybrid to a drop bar bike but having looked at the various CX bikes I went for a relaxed geometry road bike instead.

Norm

Tricross is a brand name for a hybrid type bike with drop type handlebars produced by Specialized.
I think I've asked this a few times before, can you define what a "hybrid" is? A few have tried and failed monumentally, but I haven't seen drops used in any of the definitions.

In fact, flat bars is about the only thing that the marketing peeps seem to have agreed on when they use that dreadful word.

hi, i am looking to upgrade from hybrid to tricross and would like advice on which bike?
What sort of riding and what sort of surfaces? How tall are you? How much money have you got? New / second hand? Etc.

Norm

[QUOTE 1753657, member: 45"]I'd define a hybrid as any bike which takes ideas from more than one recognised type of bike (like MTB, road bike, cx, bmx). [/quote]
That's as good as I've seen anywhere but it does show that it is an ineffectual term to use when defining a bike.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
A hybrid can be anything you want it to be - as long as you can ride it and enjoy it - what does it matter.

Norm

what does it matter.
Because people who are told to buy a hybrid will not realise that they have not been told anything.

Road / off road / trail

Flat bars / drops

Aggressive / relaxed geometry

Suspension None / Front / Both

26" / 700c

Slicks / treads

Mudguard & rack mounts Yes / No

etc

If someone is recommended a roadie, they know what to expect. (Road, drops, aggressive, rigid, 700c, slicks, no mounts)

If someone is recommended a tourer, they know pretty much what to expect (although they could be flat or drops and 26" or 700c)

If someone is recommended a "hybrid", it can be anything. It is lazy and it means nothing worthwhile, especially in a "what bike" thread where we know nothing about the OP's hopes and desires.

potsy

Rambler
:unsure:
Does this mean I have 3 hybrids?
Secteur, fairly relaxed with rack mounts.
Tricross, drops, wide tyres, discs.
Trek 7.1 fx, flat bars, guards, wide tyres.

VamP

Banned
[QUOTE 1753657, member: 45"]I'd define a hybrid as any bike which takes ideas from more than one recognised type of bike (like MTB, road bike, cx, bmx).

A tricross isn't a hybrid. It's a cyclocross bike.[/quote]

I'd agree that ''hybrid'' is not a particularly useful term. I was really using it just to set the tricross apart from cross bikes. Contrary to popular opinion the Tricross is not a cyclocross bike. The Crux is Specialized's CX platform. Tricross is a kinda ''hybrid'' with drops, for lack of a better desription. Specialized themselves refer somewhere in the blurb to the cross in Tricross refering to a cross-over nature of the bike.

Not that it matters. I fear we have confused the OP beyond all reason :rolleyes:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Not that it matters. I fear we have confused the OP beyond all reason :rolleyes:

I think you are right, that was the OP's 1st post. (hopefully not the last)

Come back redjake, most cycle chatters are really quite nice, and we can offer some useful advice if you just set out what you are looking for.

PK99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1753657, member: 45"]I'
A tricross isn't a hybrid. It's a cyclocross bike.[/quote]

That's not how Specialized sell it these days their cyclocross bike is the Crux, the tricross is :
Whether commuting to work, exploring local singletrack treasures, or touring the coast with fully laden panniers, Tricross riders want the freedom to roam wherever they please—it’s their tool to explore pavement, gravel, dirt, you name it. Because of the ever-changing terrain they prefer, it’s important to have a lightweight, yet durable bike that gives them the flexibility to do it all.

Almost by definition a hybrid!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
If someone is recommended a roadie, they know what to expect. (Road, drops, aggressive, rigid, 700c, slicks, no mounts)

.[/quote]
so my bike which is a roadie - isn't a roadie cause it has rack mounts

i'm confused, i thought i had bought a roadie, but i havent - i have bought a what?

Bluenite

whyte-kings-cross-bike-65843.jpg
Whyte Kings Cross may suit you. Heres a link to there page
http://www.whytebikes.com/2012/bike_page.php?ModNo=W-1-040-12
Hope it helps.

OP
OP
R

redjake

thanks guys. i am planning to start doing some touring and i do alot of towpaths etc.at momment have spech sirrus elite,am 6foot tall

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I havent ridden either bike. The Sirrus is a good quality flat bar bike capable of touring and towpaths. The Tricross adds drop handle bars into the equation. If you like Specialized and crave drops then why not test ride the tricross, but you could also add bar ends to your current bike and get similar results.

Top Bottom