Trike Wheel size?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marc-triker

Veteran
I'm running 20" front wheels and and 26" rear. whats the pro's and con's of the rear wheel size.
Most of the newer trikes i've seen have smaller wheels. My son has a 20" 7speed wheel on his KMX so i could borrow that to see for myself but thought i'd ask here 1st... ;)

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
..you only have to have one size of spare tyre and inner tube?

byegad

Legendary Member
You'll find a lot of American trike forum types have really strong opinions on rear wheel size, claiming that a 700C rear wheel trike is some how faster than a 20" rear wheel trike. In my opinion, it's all about the gearing, what little difference in rolling resistance the size of one wheel will make is hardly significant.
I feel that a small wheel gives you a low bottom gear with no problems and can easily be geared to give a 100+" top gear.

There is some dispute on the Catrike forums overthe difference between a 700c c (700) and 26" wheel (Expedition)

The real difference is in gearing as above. Although I find that the rear rack sits better and gives higher lighting and luggage.

Personally I prefer a big wheel.

I prefer the look of a 26" or 700c over 20" wheels on the back of trikes. There is a difference in rolling resistance although this is minimalised with the use of rear suspension. The real decider I think is rear mech clearance, particularly if you're running a triple and therefore a long cage rear mech.

squeaker

Über Member
Wot others have said, plus with a smaller rear wheel a trike is shorter (for the same wheelbase), which may be important for storage.

A 26" rear rides better but the frame has to be strong enough for the lateral stress otherwise there will be frame failure in the long term, I have access to any trike in the Catrike range obviously but I choose to ride the Expedition.

OP
OP
marc-triker

marc-triker

Veteran
Thank you all for your help in this matter. need 2 buy a trike of my own so i will save sum cash up and do a few test rides to find the best trike for me. although i have a better idea now.

Top Bottom