trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Great news, you will love them. Kev is a great guy and i am sure will answer all your questions. Also lives in a nice spot!!

OP
OP

3tyretrackterry

Well I am back and im completley overwhelmed Kevin is so good he allowed me to try several trikes out and gave me loads of tips and hints on the choice. all i need to do now is adjust the budget to suit, that may take some doing but i will get there. I will be going back for more as soon as i can and try and narrow the field down to a manageable number but until then ill keep saving.

Cullin

Über Member
We will soon be meeting you at Elavon Castle, April is not too far away for you, Buget is a good place to start, but don't compromise if there is one you one you realy like.
Wish you luck.

dataretriever

Terry, it's worth the saving up; if only all cycle shops were run by Kevin! I've just spent a few days with my new Q in Cornwall including a 48mph dash down the hill into Polperro and then snapping the chain on the way back up, and the grin hasn't finished yet - my cheeks are starting to hurt now, remedies anyone?

dataretriever said:
Terry, it's worth the saving up; if only all cycle shops were run by Kevin! I've just spent a few days with my new Q in Cornwall including a 48mph dash down the hill into Polperro and then snapping the chain on the way back up, and the grin hasn't finished yet - my cheeks are starting to hurt now, remedies anyone?

Stop grinning!

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
dataretriever said:
...try not to snap the chain. They're expensive - it cost me £60 for a replacement after I snapped mine!

dataretriever

Thanks Auntie, I'll try not to again. I just took the offending link out and the chain now appears more like the handbook so perhaps it was too long and him upstairs was correcting the mistake......

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I'm relieved to find someone else who's snapped one, however, as I got the impression this is very hard to do on a recumbent and I felt a bit foolish. Mine had done 3000 miles so perhaps that was it (excuses, excuses!)

dataretriever

I'd only done about 20 miles and would love to say it must be the immense amount of power my muscles were putting through the chain but accept it must have been a bad link. I felt foolish going fast, backwards and had to verge it before I really creamed in. luckily no-one was around to see!

Cullin

Über Member
If you are snapping chains or bending the chain idler mount, best check to see if everything is properly aligned, end of the chain tubes with idler, also make sure there is no twist in the chain when you have replaced it, with the length of them, a half twist can be missed, or my final offer is, try not to change gears to fast, give the chain time to move across...
That should about do from me.
Happy Triking, Glad you managed to get the trike in the end.

Two thoughts...

Riding style... with Trikes is is rather a case of lower gearing and "smart" accelaration than applying lots of power - the amount of power you can apply is graeter than on an upright.

Chain run...... The "concensus" tends to be that the "top" or "drive" run of the chain is closer to the frame than the "lower" or "return" run. The vertical component of the power application can easily bend the support for the idlers

dataretriever

I checked the chain when I assembled it before the ride and it wasn't twisted, the chain run was straight. I was in the low end of the gears, small at the front and about 3 at the back, when I felt it catch at the back then snap - spin - panic - verge. I can only think it was a weak link as the sprockets seem undamaged and the broken link was quite bent. I'll probably replace the whole chain soon just in case.

OP
OP

3tyretrackterry

going back to D tek 19th March to test ride some more and hopefully to make a decision on the one i want then i just need to haggle with the family chancellor for appropiate funding. the elvaston convoy is a step nearer being a bit longer.

Top Bottom