Turbo trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr Mag00

rising member
yh get one, great for short time, high tempo interval sessions

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My fittest ever summer came after a winter of regular intense turbo trainer sessions. I listened to loud, fast music while I was doing them and I was working too hard to get bored.

kids will be juming on and off the bike also, making me cross...ggrrrr.....
Make sure they stay well away when you are using it - little hands caught in fast moving wheels, chains or chainrings would be horrific! :eek:

Paul_L

Über Member
i found them dull dull dull.

i bought a second hand one on ebay, used it no more than half a dozen times then stuck it back on ebay when i sold it for more than i paid for it :smile:

i had it set up in the garage. The problem i found is that you get very hot, very quickly without the flow of air you'd get on a normal ride.

It's ok if you've only got 20mins and you're desparate to squeeze a ride in, but for me i found it best to get proper winter clothes and just go out for a ride outside.

Each to there own though.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
thanks paul, good to get balanced views.

does feel different cycling in winter rather than summer though, ill make my mind up closer to winter

i guess its quicker to jump on the bike indoors than to get all your kit on and go out so good if times an issue as you say, cheers

Mark_Robson

i found them dull dull dull.
i had it set up in the garage. The problem i found is that you get very hot, very quickly without the flow of air you'd get on a normal ride.

It's ok if you've only got 20mins and you're desparate to squeeze a ride in, but for me i found it best to get proper winter clothes and just go out for a ride outside.

Each to there own though.
+1

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I use mine for excersise in the garage, get a fan if you need some airflow, but I admit it doesn't simulate cycling on a road. It was great to be able to go for a 'ride' in the garage, with music playing and spin for an hour or so, especially in the winter evenings.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I thought about getting one but with commuting i get enough base line training in , i only missed a week ish due to bad weather anyway this winter, - 15 and snow is a no no for me .

GrasB

Veteran
I don't look at turbo/ergo time as replacing road & trail riding. Nothing replaces that, I look at the turbo/ergo time as pure focused training time. I could imagine if I went on a normal 25-30 mile at my usual ride intensities on a turbo I'd be bored out of my skull after 30 min or so. This is the mistake I think a lot of people make, they treat a turbo/ergo trainer as a replacement for road/trail riding & it isn't, it's a training tool. During the winter when it's cold & icy I'd not trade be outside in thermals doing my commuting base miles, but where I'd be struggling to pump out 200w on the road I could jump on my old, toy of a, turbo & completely overwhelm its resistance (around 215w max resistance, I said it was a toy ;)) to try & keep my power I developed over last summer.

So onto today with my ergo trainer - yes it's over 20C outside, yes it's a beautiful day but I did a 45min training session down the bottom of the garden. Nothing I could have done on the road or on a trail would have come close to that session! It was wonderful listening to the birds, the trickle of water into the pond, the soft sound of the wind through the long grasses & trees, even the sound of the traffic with some blues & jazz music from somewhere near by & the hum of the rear tyre. This all helps me to zen out & just focus on my training - no traffic, no pedestrians, no horses, no wildlife running across the road, just me v's the bike & ergo trainer.

yello

I look at the turbo/ergo time as pure focused training time.

Absolutely spot-on A+ +1 :thumbsup:

Haven't used my turbo in literally years... but I don't 'train', I simply like to ride my bike!

If you look at your average training plan, it can be difficult to complete it exactly as stated because you are, to an extent, at the mercy of your local environment; terrain, traffic, traffic lights, junctions, etc etc etc. For example, it's very difficult for me to do a ride around here staying within, say, 60% max HR... short of walking up some hills, such is the terrain. With a turbo, no problems.

Later this year, as PBP approaches, I shall probably be blowing the dust of my turbo and oiling it up to do some constant, steady spinning sessions.

Top Bottom