Turbo Trainers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rockyraccoon

Veteran
I was talking to a friend about cycling, exercising and getting fit during the winter. Anyway I mentioned about turbo trainers and he said they are boring and waste of money and told me to just get on my bike, enjoy the ride and don't worry about the weather, rain and mud.

Don't mind when it is cold/freezing but I hate cycling when it is wet and raining. It really puts me off.

Now I am asking myself: Should I get one or just use my bike outside whether it is raining or not as he said? Is it really boring to cycle inside? Probably the most important question is can they really improve my fitness and strength over the winter?

So what are peoples thoughts of these trainers?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If the rain puts you off cycling, then I say go for it and buy a turbo trainer. At least you will be doing something rather than nothing. Park it in front of the TV or a window and watch stuff to amuse yourself

You could man up and just ride in the cold and wet, but if you are just doing it for the sake of it and not enjoying it, whats the point.

Yes training on a turbo can help you improve your fitness. But you need to do the work on it.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Doesn't all the dirt flick off and get on the walls and carpet?

Most people put a mat down anyway, since if you dont there will be a big sweat soaked patch on your carpet :tongue:

If your bike is that dirty that its flicking muck everywhere you might want to clean it down :smile:

aberal

Guru
Sometimes its physically impossible to get out over the winter when the weather gets really bad - in which case 45 mins to an hour on the trainer a couple of times a week will do you the world of good and makes sure you don't lose too much fitness over the winter. You'll definitely feel better come the spring. They can be boring if you don't get yourself a regime - the best thing to do is get a heart rate monitor and access some exercise regimes (from Polar for example). Interval training means you will break down the 45-60 mins into managable 5, 10 or 15 minute chunks and you'll find that the time passes without you noticing it. And anyway - what else would you be doing on some of these dark winter nights anyway..? Watching crappy television?

jack cameron

I never go out in icy weather,but anything else goes.I don't lose a lot of cycling during winter months.A turbo trainer is great for time you can't get on the bike.Yes!!! it can be a bit boring,but with a bit of effort you get a good work out.Listen to some music while you are on it and you will be fine.You really have got to be positive about using a turbo trainer or you will get bored.Think of the benefits!!!one thing though....they can wear out your tyre easily if you torque it up too much,and also can be a bit noisy,but apart from that,,,,get on the turbo and work at it....good luck..

Brahan

Über Member
Turbo trainers are excellent to increase fitness and can also improve your cycling technique.

Unless you have a dedicated room or garage where you can keep it constantly set up, you'll have to faff around to set up each time you want to use it. You'll get used to this pretty quickly and it will soon be part of the ritual.

I did my toughest ever set on the turbo last night, for your enjoyment:

10 min warm up
5x2 minutes of hard as you can - 4 minutes between each set
10 minutes of zone 2-3
5x1 minute of hard as you can - 3 minutes between each set
10 minutes of zone 2-3
5x30 seconds of hard as you can 2 minutes between each set
10 minute warm down

Boredon doesn't even come into it to be honest - if you follow this to the letter you're either dying or thankful for the breather.

carpiste

Guru
Mine came today, set it up in minutes and changed,shoes,shorts,t-shirt and no need for anything to keep warm.
Not knowing how it was going to be I timed myself at a relatively steady pace(warm up) for 20 minutes then went up a couple of gears and did 10 minutes at a slightly higher pace but with 5 short sprints thrown in. I then turned it up another couple of gears and kept the same pace but with another 5 short sprints.This nearly finished me :whistle:
I finally let it down a few gears and did a 3 minute sprint followed by a steady 7 minutes warm down.
It`s a long time since I got such a good sweat on :thumbsup:
Now I haven`t a clue if this was what people do on their turbos but it felt good to me, at least I felt there was some benefit and can`t wait to get on again tomorrow.
I`d also like to add that,like Brahan mebtioned, it must be a good way of improving your technique.Reason? well it`s so easy to look down at your feet,knees,legs and if you`re a real poser across at a mirror :biggrin:

stephec

Legendary Member
Get yourself a big fan as well, it'll stop you from overheating when you work hard.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Only had one a couple of months and I've gone 100% turbo - 0% road for the bad part of the winter.

Having said that, you have to be pretty determined and have some set goals like increasing cadence and pedal technique to overcome the boredom.

I'd get a cheapy second hand one and see how it goes.

Hugo15

Über Member
The turbo is great to build fitness during the dark winter months, but IMHO you need to approach every session with a plan of what you are going to do. I've found that since I started to have a proper plan for each session then the training is no longer boring.

Also have a look at http://www.thesufferfest.com/ for some great training videos that are not too expensive.

Garz

Squat Member
I got one as last winter ended up pretty bad for a few weeks and glad I did. Yes it's boring but you can mix it up like others have mentioned earlier and for a 45min-1hr session it's a quick and easy way of maintaining some fitness instead of losing it die to bad weather/daylight restriction.

You dont need to go mad and £150 will buy you a decent enough one or ~ £100 second hand.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
What's the main advantage over, say, an exercise bike?

IMO the main advantages are:

That you are actually riding your bike, one that fits you properly and allows the proper adjustment (exercise bikes are lacking in adjustability) and thus prepaires you for such efforts on a real bike.

Plus they are small, if you already have to store a bike, its a welcome advantage to only have to store a small additional piece of kit as opposed to a full sized exercise bike.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
IMO the main advantages are:

That you are actually riding your bike, one that fits you properly and allows the proper adjustment (exercise bikes are lacking in adjustability) and thus prepaires you for such efforts on a real bike.

Plus they are small, if you already have to store a bike, its a welcome advantage to only have to store a small additional piece of kit as opposed to a full sized exercise bike.

Cheers. I only ask because a friend is about to give me their old exercise bike, but I was also mulling over the idea of a turbo trainer.

Top Bottom