TV licence

T4tomo

Veteran
hair /hare splitting going on. you need a TV licence if you are going to watch such as BBC iplayer from tablet or phone (or TV) inside that property, not for just owing one.

it is, as stated, quite difficult to prove that someone is doing that. If you had a working TV plugged in and set up infront of the sofa, I reckon the court wouldnt buy your "never watch it mate" argument though.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
The criteria, I believe, for needing a licence is that you watch Live broadcasts, not just the BBC.
This means that, without a licence, you must not receive ITV, SKY, or any other live broadcasts.
I don't have a TV licence and have removed access to live channels and have never been contacted since I filled out the Get Stuffed form online.

Genau

hair /hare splitting going on. you need a TV licence if you are going to watch such as BBC iplayer from tablet or phone (or TV) inside that property, not for just owing one.

it is, as stated, quite difficult to prove that someone is doing that. If you had a working TV plugged in and set up infront of the sofa, I reckon the court wouldnt buy your "never watch it mate" argument though.
Pretty much that. I have a TV and a variety of computer equipment that is connected to the internet but I do not have a TV service from my broadband provider and nothing is connected to the aerial which is still there behind some furniture. To be totally clear I suppose I should blank off the aerial but I have not got a Freeview box and I have my doubts whether the TV has internal Freeview capability because it was bought abroad.

More importantly, I simply do not watch broadcast TV so I cannot be caught in the act of watching broadcast TV. That is quite important - this remains a criminal offence so the burden of proof is on them. Possession of a smart phone is nowhere near enough evidence.

The prosecutions mostly rely on confessions from lone females who have been intimidated into letting the Capita salesmen into their homes. It's not much different to being made to sign up to double glazing - it's just dressed up in fake legalese of "officers" and "interviews under caution" i.e. man on sales commission promises to leave if you just agree to everything he says.

T4tomo

Veteran
The criteria, I believe, for needing a licence is that you watch Live broadcasts, not just the BBC.
This means that, without a licence, you must not receive ITV, SKY, or any other live broadcasts.
I don't have a TV licence and have removed access to live channels and have never been contacted since I filled out the Get Stuffed form online.
"You don't need a licence if you only ever watch on demand or catch up programmes on services other than BBC iPlayer (and you also never watch live TV programmes on any channel, including on iPlayer). ... You need a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand."
from Tv licencing website similar to above. phrased differently.
any live TV or any use of BBC iplayer (live or otherwise) needs a TV licence

figbat

Slippery scientist
We received a letter from them this week for the previous occupant, who died around 10 years ago - we bought the house 8 years ago. There were a series of letters for them when we bought the house which soon dried up and yet this week they have decided to resume the chase. We hold a licence for this address in our name too, so I don’t know which left hand and right hand are in play here.

Letter returned to sender, not known at this address.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't be less hassle for you to just start watching telly.
annoying yet ignorable letters every month, two months, six months, etc... vs Emmerdale, Corrie and 'Stenders several times a week :whistle:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
We received a letter from them this week for the previous occupant, who died around 10 years ago - we bought the house 8 years ago. There were a series of letters for them when we bought the house which soon dried up and yet this week they have decided to resume the chase. We hold a licence for this address in our name too, so I don’t know which left hand and right hand are in play here.

Letter returned to sender, not known at this address.
TV licencing actually used a name?

I'm always 'the occupier' and according to their letters, they've opened up about 6 special investigations on my property in the last ten years or so. I wish someone would actually knock on my door, then i could ask how their investigation is going. Not well I presume, since they don't seem to have worked out the name of the person who lives at this address. 🕵️‍♂️

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
All the BBC national radio stations have their own newsreaders reading the news on the hour. Presumably they've got their own news teams behind them as well. I doubt if a privately funded broadcaster would waste money like that.
They have their own news presenters but the back room and most of the reports are shared amongst both the UK stations and the World Service.

Ste T.

Veteran
AFAIK nobody has ever been prosecuted using TV detector van or magic hand held device evidence. People are prosecuted by the evidence of salesmen seeing the TV showing live tv through a window or door when they come to the home or by what comes out of the mouth of the homeowner on the door step.

Last edited:
Top Bottom