Two approaches to customer service.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
First - direct sales manufacturer from Germany. I ask: "There are some things I might wish to change on one of your bikes that are not listed in the configurator. Is this ok?" Immediate answer was that this is not a problem. Happy to do so.

Second. UK bike builder. Fixed spec' bike at around £1k on offer. I ask: "Can I upgrade the brakes from Apex to Rival? More than happy to pay the difference." Answer was a straight no!

So, a UK builder turns away around £1500 of business (I was going to buy the bike plus sundries) - how is that sensible in this day and age? No wonder we are in a mess with this sort of attitude.

400bhp

Guru
No idea - why don't you ask the UK builder?

400bhp

Guru
thanks for that. Why do British people get a stick up one's backside when someone says something they don't agree with?

On a similar note,

Back story: a friend of mine works the odd instances in a bike shop that stocks Cube, I have ridden with the stores owner on one occasion with my friend and mentioned I could be in the market, this was about 3 months ago. Store is not the closest to me that stocks cube.

FF to Sunday: Had a run out to this store on the basis that I was told they had some bikes in store and wanted to assess for sizing/ geometry before maybe ordering a new bike. Arrived at the store, door open lights on, owner sat at till with a brew. Walks in the store, "we are shut"

Ok I thinks he has recognised me from our ride and pub outing and is having a giraffe. So I continue into the store and say I am looking to try out a Cube for size before ordering and need a few bits of tackle (approx £200 worth). He says that they are shut and that the only Agree Sl they have in stock is a 2011, I asked if they had other agree models in various sizes so I could try one out for size, yes come back Monday he says, but ordering and getting stock is hard work with Cube atm.

The penny finally dropped, ha hadn't recognised me and he truly was just sat having a coffee with the lights on and door open.

So OK fair enough he was shut, he was taking a break from stock taking or whatever, BUT here was a member of the public wandering into his shop looking to drop the thick end of £2K, am I going to go out of my way to visit his shop again, am I coco.

Ordered the tools online and saved £30+.,

Contacted another Cube stockist with some stock bikes who is more than happy for me to try them, on the otherhand might also look at ordering direct from Canyon or Rose.

Does he have a licence to trade on Sunday at the time you turned up?

afaik a small shop is unrestricted and doesn't need a license to trade on a Sunday, at least not for cycles.

I might be proved wrong but even if I am it doesn't take a customer facing genius to say

"we are shut but if you want to swing your leg over bike x,y,z while you are here then we can see what size you need/ which models geometry suits best and then I can check stock and you can call back later in the week to order"

hmmm might he have made a sale in that instance?? even if the bike hadn't felt right,or he couldn't obtain one he would have had a customer with a feeling of worth who would possibly have been willing to travel that extra couple of miles to use his services in future.

Dave7

Legendary Member
So, a UK builder turns away around £1500 of business (I was going to buy the bike plus sundries) - how is that sensible in this day and age? No wonder we are in a mess with this sort of attitude.
I understand your frustration/feelings but dont think it's fair to lump all dealers together. I have been bike shopping for weeks and settled on a Ribble (bike builder)....with several emails and 2 visits I couldn't ask for more in the way of help and advice.
I have dealt with a German manufacturer for some 20 years (brilliant products) but found them very inflexible.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I agree, don`t think all UK dealers are the same because they are not. When you are in the selling market, regardless what you sell, customer care has to come top of the list. That is not to say that you let customers dictate to you and push you around but you have to be as friendly and fair as possible. How some of them stay in business, I have no idea.

When you spoke to the UK company, were to talking to the guy who owns the company or the oilrag? It is easy to turn away other peoples money.

Steve

Ethan

While I agree we shouldn't lump everyone together - I see exactly where your coming from.
Customer service is key in any business - if you are spending that amount of money and are perfectly willing to pay the extra for a different part, then I don't see why they wouldn't put that little bit of effort in and have it done for you. You'll leave happy with your product and experience, they'll get the money. Its win win.

My lbs of choice are by no means the cheapest, largest nor do they have the best selection. Yet I return time and time again, why? Because they settle at nothing but 100% customer satisfaction.
I was after a 105 rear mech, they didn't have it in stock. Yet he said they had the ultegra one in, I was apprehensive at first as I had a very tight budget, but he instantly said 'And we'll sort you some discount out on it'.
I didn't even have to ask! They went out of their way to sort something out for me. I left chuffed with my bike and the service, the watched me leave with money in their till and a new loyal customer.
Like I said, win win!

A company that doesn't have time for the customer doesn't deserve business, as far as I'm concerned.

Top Bottom