Two Idiots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
From The News, Portsmouth today.

Cyclist hit by taxi door

Police were called after a cyclist was injured when the driver of a parked taxi suddenly opened his door. Officers attended the scene just after 2am last Sunday in Albert Road Southsea.
The cyclist - a man in his 20's from Oxfordshire - received injuries which were not life-threatening.
Police said the taxi driver, a man in his 30's from Southsea, was issued with a fixed penalty notice for opening his driver's door without looking, which the cyclist crashed into.
When he spoke to the police the cyclist accepted he should have had working lights and brakes on his bicycle.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
From The News, Portsmouth today.

Cyclist hit by taxi door

Police were called after a cyclist was injured when the driver of a parked taxi suddenly opened his door. Officers attended the scene just after 2am last Sunday in Albert Road Southsea.
The cyclist - a man in his 20's from Oxfordshire - received injuries which were not life-threatening.
Police said the taxi driver, a man in his 30's from Southsea, was issued with a fixed penalty notice for opening his driver's door without looking, which the cyclist crashed into.
When he spoke to the police the cyclist accepted he should have had working lights and brakes on his bicycle.

Oh dear.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Silly cyclist, riding at night without lights, without brakes and in the door zone. Whilst i feel for him, he was asking for it.

Buddfox

Veteran
I actually think the taxi driver's been a bit hard done by here. If the guy had no lights, it would have been difficult to see him!

JamesAC

"Police said the taxi driver, a man in his 30's from Southsea, was issued with a fixed penalty notice for opening his driver's door without looking, which the cyclist crashed into."

So it wouldn't have made any difference at all if the cyclist had been lit up like a Christmas tree.

I actually think the taxi driver's been a bit hard done by here. If the guy had no lights, it would have been difficult to see him!

Section 105 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

Opening of doors

105. No person shall open, or cause or permit to be opened, any door of a vehicle on a road so as to injure or endanger any person.

OP
OP
Arfcollins

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
Seconded and by giving him a fix penalty ticket it opens the floodgates for Mr 'idiot with no lights' to sue the taxi driver... :rolleyes:

Without knowing the circumstances we can't tell what the driver was likely to see before he opened the door (though that road is pretty well lit). My view is that the police should have done the cyclist too.

sabian92

Über Member
I would have put the cyclist more in the wrong than the taxi driver. No lights is one thing, but no brakes is just suicidal.

Without knowing the circumstances we can't tell what the driver was likely to see before he opened the door (though that road is pretty well lit). My view is that the police should have done the cyclist too.

But the law about not opening doors is not specific to cyclists. It includes pedestrians too and they are rarely lit.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I'm glad the taxi drive got a ticket but the cyclist should have got one as well for having no lights or brakes.
I know he accepted what he should have done, but....

:?: Is it actually a fineable offence? Whats the penalty.... as the motons are apt to point out, theres no MOT test.:?:

2PedalsTez

Über Member
For once I actually feel sorry for a Pompey taxi driver!

Sadly I can imagine the type of 'cyclist' in this incident...

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I know he accepted what he should have done, but....

:?: Is it actually a fineable offence? Whats the penalty.... as the motons are apt to point out, theres no MOT test.:?:
When using the road your bicycle must be in a condition which is suitable for road use. Working brakes being a requirement. You can get a FPN for not having two independent braking systems.

Top Bottom