Tyre and Inner tube sizing - confused!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lambchop

Hi guys,
Could someone please clarify as to what exactly the sizing means on tires and inner tubes?

I have 27" wheels on my road bike, just purchased some new tires which are 23-622 or 700x23c - what do those numbers mean?

The inner tubes I have are 27x3/4-1 or 700x18c-25c - are these the right ones and what do the numbers mean again?!

Many thanks.

Will1985

Über Member
Don't worry - lots of confusing numbers but you have the right stuff. 622 and 700 are basically synonymous with a 27" wheel.

garrilla

These are the important numbers for you...

27inch = 700mm

The tyre is 700 x with 23mm width for a 'c' (crotchet type) rim

The inner tube will fit a tyre 700 x anything between 18mm to 25mm (after 25mm, its likely to be a bit stretched)

OP
OP
Lambchop

Lambchop

garrilla said:
These are the important numbers for you...

27inch = 700mm

The tyre is 700 x with 23mm width for a 'c' (crotchet type) rim

The inner tube will fit a tyre 700 x anything between 18mm to 25mm (after 25mm, its likely to be a bit stretched)

Sorry but what is a crotchet type rim?

garrilla

Its the standard type, there is a slight hook on the inside of the rim to keep the tyre on. Unless you have different types of wheels you will have 'C' as a defacto

Mostly its irrelevant, its just saying how the tyre is kept in-place.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
are you SURE that your rims are 27"? That is a different size. A 700c is 622mm and a 27" is 630mm. A 700 or 622, also called a 28", or in mountain bike terms, a "29er" is too SMALL to fit on a 27" rim. How old is that bike, that it has 27" rims? Tubes, however, will fit. They are often marked for both the old fashioned 27" size, and the current 700c or 622.

Top Bottom