Tyre changing/ Puncture fixing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3tyretrackterry

Has anybody got any experience of using a park tools TL 10 or a Crank brothers speed lever. I have real problems getting my tyres back on to the rim. They are Schwalbe city jets. I can do it with normal tyre levers but this goes against everything my Dad taught me as a kid. According to the blurb both these products can help you reseat your tyre without risk to you freshly fixed tube. I know the Park TL 10 is classed as a workshop tool but would you say it is too heavy/big or impractical to carry on a commute/or long trip
Many thanks

jimboalee

I have read lots of reports on this site about Schwalbe being difficult to fit.
Therefore I avoid them.
I use Contis. No problems.

It might sound daft 'cus you may already be doing this. - When the first half is on, push the tyre bead down lower than its seat, so the bead is pushed against the rimtape. This gives a little more room to manouver.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Got a speedlever but I just use it as a normal lever. Once the tyre is loose enough to use the spinny extender thing, you might as well just use your fingers. +1 for picking tyres that are easier to fit.

Talc the inside surface of the tyre and around the sidewall.
Always start opposite the valve.
When you get to the point where it feels too tight to go any further go back to where you started and reseat the bead, this should create enough slack to get the last bit on.

It's not illegal to use a tyre lever for the last bit BTW, you just need to be very careful not to pinch the tube.

Tynan

Veteran
I don;t think I've ever nipped a tube using levers, slightly inflate the tube before poking it back in and then it sits up into the body of the tyre, just be reasonably careful with the levers thereafter

that said I manage to refit my Luganos by hand now I actually try, a little at a time is the way

jimboalee

I put the tyre on with one side on the rim. Then I pull the tyre across and put the tube valve in. Then lay the tube inside the rim.

Then I push the valve up inside the tyre and start placing the tyre on the rim where the valve is.
With the valve pushed up inside the tyre with just a little visible, I squeeze the tyre and seat it down on the rim tape. With both hands, using the balls of the thumb muscle, roll the tyre on the rim.
The last part of the tyre to go on is opposite the valve.
I use some strong arms and the balls of the thumbs to roll the tyre on.

There hasn't been a tyre that has beaten me.
When the tyre is new, a warm oven comes in useful. - see some other threads.

A good exercise for tyre fitting is the Press-up.

OP
OP

3tyretrackterry

thanks for the replies i better do some press ups and buy some softer tyres

Cubist

Still wavin'
Schwalbes are tight, but only the first time. I found they went on without levers the second time. After the first time when I used the levers and nipped the bloody tube that is.......:tongue:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
jimboalee said:
I have read lots of reports on this site about Schwalbe being difficult to fit.

You don't want to believe everything you read, I can get my M+ on without levers. :rofl: Or I read somewhere about the suggestion of putting their tyres in the oven on coat hangers to help stretch them after they have baked a cake :rofl:

Cubist

Still wavin'
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
You don't want to believe everything you read, I can get my M+ on without levers. :angry: Or I read somewhere about the suggestion of putting their tyres in the oven on coat hangers to help stretch them after they have baked a cake xx(

Baking as well.... and to think I just wanted them to help the wheels go round...............:ohmy:

Top Bottom