Tyre cuts - super glue or vulcanising rubber solution?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Which is better to fix flint and glass cuts in a tyre - super glue or vulcanising rubber solution?

I've been an advocate of the latter - after all, it sticks patches pretty good - but it doesn't seem to stick around (;)) in the cut for long - in fact, whether it's doing any good, I can't tell. It doesn't seem to seal the sides of the cut, or fill any of those star-shaped cracks left by pointy stones. By the next day, you can't tell the rubber solution was ever there.

But using superglue? Surely when it hardens, it's the same as having a flint or piece of glass in the tread?

Superglue is brittle. I've used it in the past, but I'm not sure whether it does any good. I now think that the flexing of the tyre in motion would break up and drive out the superglue.

Bit of contact adhesive perhaps?

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Twenty Inch said:
Superglue is brittle. I've used it in the past, but I'm not sure whether it does any good. I now think that the flexing of the tyre in motion would break up and drive out the superglue.

Bit of contact adhesive perhaps?

Yeah - had thought about trying Bostik. Has anyone else had a go... before I destroy my Gators!

kyuss

Veteran
I use superglue but have on occasion had a slow puncture caused by the glue hardening into a point. It's good for proper long cuts, not so great for tapered holes caused by pieces of glass etc as it just hardens into a point and can on occasion push its way though into the tube.

I've a few friends who swear by wetsuit repair glue. It's a contact adhesive like superglue but it doesn't harden. Haven't tried it yet myself but at about £5 a tube it's cheaper than binning a tyre and worth a try.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
kyuss said:
I use superglue but have on occasion had a slow puncture caused by the glue hardening into a point. It's good for proper long cuts, not so great for tapered holes caused by pieces of glass etc as it just hardens into a point and can on occasion push its way though into the tube.

I've a few friends who swear by wetsuit repair glue. It's a contact adhesive like superglue but it doesn't harden. Haven't tried it yet myself but at about £5 a tube it's cheaper than binning a tyre and worth a try.

Now that looks nifty... I may have to give that a go.

It's just that the cuts and nicks bother me, especially in tyres that ain't that old. The holes have a habit of trapping water (as can be seen if you wipe your tyre with a dry cloth and watch the smears from the cuts as the cloth passes over) - can't be good. An adhesive that stayed flexible but filled the hole to keep water out might be just the thing.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Mr Pig said:
I have used rubber puncture patches on the inside and outside of a badly cut tyre, that worked fine. Super Glue's no use.

These aren't big cuts - biggest is 5mm maybe - but there's plenty of them. The roads around here are grim for having glass on them, especially in the middle of town.

Tynan

Veteran
tyres ain't that much are they, I got a £11 Lugano on the front and it's going very well, not sure I'd be happy running on a tyre with cuts like some of you lot seem to be happy running on

Dave5N

Über Member
Yep. Make your LBS owner smile. Buy a new tyre.

kyuss

Veteran
I like good tyres. They make a big difference to the handling and grip. £10 tyres just don't cut it IMO (and I've used plenty of them). If I was to buy a new Fortezza Tricomp or Pro Race every time I got a little cut in it I'd be spending hundreds of pounds a year.

Cuts in tyres are inevitable and unless they go right through the carcass or are quite large and make the tyre bulge they are perfectly safe to glue up and carry on riding. Even the mechanics of Pro Tour teams with their huge budgets are known to glue up little cuts, and if it's a good enough solution for them it's certainly good enough for me.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
kyuss said:
I like good tyres. They make a big difference to the handling and grip. £10 tyres just don't cut it IMO (and I've used plenty of them). If I was to buy a new Fortezza Tricomp or Pro Race every time I got a little cut in it I'd be spending hundreds of pounds a year.

Cuts in tyres are inevitable and unless they go right through the carcass or are quite large and make the tyre bulge they are perfectly safe to glue up and carry on riding. Even the mechanics of Pro Tour teams with their huge budgets are known to glue up little cuts, and if it's a good enough solution for them it's certainly good enough for me.

This is how I feel about it. Gators aren't the most expensive tyres, but neither do I like chucking tyres away if they are still safe to use!

Tynan

Veteran
erm , I was talking about 10mm cuts ans slashes with the tube bulging out

gawd

I use tyres until they're going flat too often, like everyone else

barring bloody Gators which I gave away after three weeks, cut up and skated in the wet, the Luganos have been lovely

and I've got a la de da 4000 on the rear so there

buddha

Veteran
The one thing I have used that did work was the black rubber vulcanising solution that's meant for car tyres (the cycle stuff falls out after a few weeks, as did superglue).
Didn't want to get the huge bottle, so the garage let me use a little for free:smile:
The slits are still good (unopened) after 6 months and counting.

Top Bottom