Tyre levers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Camgreen

Looking to buy some decent tyre levers. Thinking of alloy ones, if they're likely to do the best job?

If it has any bearing here the tyres are Racelite32c .... which look like they might be a bit of a struggle to get on and off hence the thoughts on alloy which I figured might be a bit more durable?

Any recommendations out there folks?

Thanks in anticipation.
thumbsup.png

Alcdrew

Best tyre levers I have owned - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-reinforced-tyre-levers/

I have heard alloy levers can damage your rims, but someone who knows more than me will either confirm or deny that.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Best tyre levers I have owned - http://www.wiggle.co...ed-tyre-levers/

I have heard alloy levers can damage your rims, but someone who knows more than me will either confirm or deny that.
I have one alloy level that is kept for "special occasions" (such are the tyre being 'welded' to the rim). On all other occasions I use plastic levers. Avoid the cheapest of the cheep as they are two brittle. I think I paid £5 for my three and they can get Shwalbe Marathon Plus tyres onto my MTB rims :smile:

OP
OP
C

Camgreen

I have one alloy level that is kept for "special occasions" (such are the tyre being 'welded' to the rim). On all other occasions I use plastic levers. Avoid the cheapest of the cheep as they are two brittle. I think I paid £5 for my three and they can get Shwalbe Marathon Plus tyres onto my MTB rims :smile:

Angelfishsolo what brand were those £5 levers?

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
One hot summer's day my plastic tyre levers wilted in the heat and I couldn't get my kevlar belted knobbly off with them - they just kept bending! Fortunately I was in walking distance of a bike shop and I bought a pair of Lezyne alloy ones which I have used ever since. Never damaged a rim with them.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
One hot summer's day my plastic tyre levers wilted in the heat and I couldn't get my kevlar belted knobbly off with them - they just kept bending! Fortunately I was in walking distance of a bike shop and I bought a pair of Lezyne alloy ones which I have used ever since. Never damaged a rim with them.
Have riding with then and used mine on the hottest days of the past years with no problems at all.

Davidc

Guru
Like Angelfishsolo I use Halfords plastic ones. (In fact they're resin but that's irrelevant - they're softer than rim alloy). I've used them when they've had to cool down after being in the sun before I could touch them. I don't know what I paid for them, go by the amount Angelfishsolo quotes.

I do have some alloy levers, well over 40 years old, but have never used them with alloy rims in case they cause damage. (Steel rims were normal when I bought them)

I use levers to get tyres off. NEVER to get them back on. I've put brand new marathon plusses on (not mine) without levers with no problem. Using levers for fitting is a quick way to risk a pinch puncture.

The Spa cycles video referred to above is almost right, follow that and you should get tyres on with no problem.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Like Angelfishsolo I use Halfords plastic ones. (In fact they're resin but that's irrelevant - they're softer than rim alloy). I've used them when they've had to cool down after being in the sun before I could touch them. I don't know what I paid for them, go by the amount Angelfishsolo quotes.

I do have some alloy levers, well over 40 years old, but have never used them with alloy rims in case they cause damage. (Steel rims were normal when I bought them)

I use levers to get tyres off. NEVER to get them back on. I've put brand new marathon plusses on (not mine) without levers with no problem. Using levers for fitting is a quick way to risk a pinch puncture.

The Spa cycles video referred to above is almost right, follow that and you should get tyres on with no problem.
I agree it is far better to use your hands to refit tyres but sometimes on the top of a mountain in the rain and mud and when you can't feel your fingers you occasionally want to cut corners for the sake of speed. I appreciate it is a gamble but one that usually pays off.

I agree it is far better to use your hands to refit tyres but sometimes on the top of a mountain in the rain and mud and when you can't feel your fingers you occasionally want to cut corners for the sake of speed. I appreciate it is a gamble but one that usually pays off.

You know you have just used up all your chances with that comment, don't you?
rolleyes.gif

Top Bottom