Tyre Mileage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enw.nigel

I was wondering what road mileage you would expect to get out of a set of tyres nowadays. I've just replaced the Continental Ultra Sport which were on the bike from new having covered 1000 miles with them. With them now off the bike, I find it difficult to tell how many more miles are left in them.
As I suffered a pothole pinch puncture with them I took the opportunity to change them to my Schwalbe Ultremo zx which have been waiting in the wings since i bought the bike but never got around to changing them.
I am also surethat the Continental Gp4000s that i had before had wear indicators on them in the form of two small recesses the diam. of a pinhead. Wouldn't a wear indicator be a simple feature to include on tyres?

tyred

Legendary Member
Depends on many variables such as riding style, road surfaces, etc and also heavy touring type tyres will last longer than something like an Ultrasport but I can confirm that my Ultrasports are still going after about 2200 miles and only one puncture to report. I would expect there are a good few miles left in yours yet unless they have visible damage.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
My Bonty Racelite Hardcases have 4500 miles this year, can't remember how many last year but at least another couple of thousand. That's with 5 day a week commuting on the knackered roads around Birmingham. Can't see that they're in imminent danger of needing to be replaced.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
My Bonty Racelite Hardcases have 4500 miles this year, can't remember how many last year but at least another couple of thousand. That's with 5 day a week commuting on the knackered roads around Birmingham. Can't see that they're in imminent danger of needing to be replaced.

That's interesting because I run the same tyre, and had done approx 3000 miles with no P's, but picked up 2 in the last week, one last friday and one yesterday, both on different tyres, both involved shards of metal in the tyre.

I was thinking of replacing them as they may have become worn, but having read above I will hold fire and put this down to bad luck.

A set of two new tyres is £50+ so I want to get my money's worth.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
That's interesting because I run the same tyre, and had done approx 3000 miles with no P's, but picked up 2 in the last week, one last friday and one yesterday, both on different tyres, both involved shards of metal in the tyre.

Snap. Couple of weeks ago I was wire brushing some old ali rims and got a p from one of the bristles that I couldn't be arsed to sweep up. Been fine since.

oliver

not sure where i read it but I heard that a guy cycled round the world, only replacing his tyres upon getting into america- when the carcase started to show (starting in Europe and going to Asia first dirrection)

OP
OP
Enw.nigel

Enw.nigel

Tyred - that's interesting what you said about your ultrasports. I've obviously got a lot of life left in mine so I'll hang onto them.

doog

I have the same tyres but on my second set after similar miles to you. I only changed them when I started getting the odd puncture. I had one blow out after hitting a stone that wrecked the tyre.

I have a strange thing happening on the rear. I have small lumps on the tyre ,evenly spaced on the part that contacts the road, cant work out why.

doog

I was thinking of replacing them as they may have become worn, but having read above I will hold fire and put this down to bad luck.

A set of two new tyres is £50+ so I want to get my money's worth.

£30 a set
biggrin.gif

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/119612.html

Great value tyres if you ask me

Too many variables. My current rear on the kinesis (a wired Grand Prix) is sitting at 9186miles, 1 p'ture (I'll probably get several now :ohmy: ) but it hasn't always been a rear tyre, it saw 2530miles on the front of my bianchi, 4886 miles on the front of the kinesis and only 1770miles on the rear of the kinesis. I get a comparatively long life out of my tyres I've heard of other folks tyres being worn out at a couple of thousand miles.

Tyke

Continental Ultra Sport which were on the bike from new having covered 1000 miles with them. With them now off the bike, I find it difficult to tell how many more miles are left in them.

I ride Continental Ultra Sport and at just over 1000 miles they still look like new, should last ages the way they are going.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Something that has amazed me is that my tyres have lasted me about 1 1/2 years. I have had punctures but that was due to potholes. I have covered about 4000 miles on them and they still seem to have an awful lot of tread on them.
They are starting to show signs of wear, with cracks in the sides, but have not failed me yet.
They are Continental CityRides (Puncture protected). The good design of them means that you have racing tyre grip when riding straight, and then cyclo cross grip when you are cornering.

(I will pop a picture up tomorrow)

Keith Oates

Janner
As said above there are so many variables that to give a distance when they can be expected to wear out is not very accurate. With the No.1 road bike I have the lightest tyres and so they wear out quicker (less milage) than on the other bikes but every time I clean the bike I also wash the tyres, using just water and a cloth and as soon as I see one small break in the rubber in the road contact area then I know it's time for a change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brockers

I have a pair of Vittoria Corsa CXs that must be twelve years old! Although the varnishy stuff on the sidewalls is well past its best they're not down to the carcass yet, and can't remember the last time I punctured on them. They've had numerous stays of execution and have been chucked in the cupboard numerous times waiting to be binned, but they end up being pulled out most years to go on my stiff wheels for fast rides on hot days - when I can hear them hum on warm tarmac. Sentimental value now and I can't bear to chuck 'em out! Mileage has got to be over 4000.

potsy

Rambler
I've got a Durano+ on the rear that has done nearly 7,000 miles. It had done about 4,000 on the front before I got another tyre and put that on the rear.
The other one still has plenty of life and will be used once this one wears out :thumbsup:

Top Bottom