Tyre on the wrong way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

Last week I had a puncture, and the person who put the tyre back on my wheel has put it on backwards. (I was checking my other tyre while they were putting the tube back in the tyre and putting it on the wheel, I would normally do it myself.)

The tyre is on the wrong way, so the rotation is pointing the wrong way, however I know the wheel is on the right way since the cassette can only go on one side!

Will this be a problem or can I just leave it?

zacklaws

Guru
May or may not be a problem, Some tyres are rotational and have an arrow on the side wall to indicate the direction of rotation whilst some it does not matter which way they go on. On one of my roadbikes, both the tyres are on opposite ways and never had no problems.

Have a look at the following website and it has a bit of info about it at the bottom:-

http://www.everydaycycling.com/edc/news/WiseWords/wise_words_tyres.aspx

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
On some tyres there are rotational arrows, but it is not critical, you can leave it until it is covenant...

zacklaws

Guru
Just reread your original message and now a bit confused with this bit:-

"The tyre is on the wrong way, so the rotation is pointing the right way"

or am I just getting tired and time for bed

OP
OP
Sam Kennedy

Sam Kennedy

Sorry I meant it was pointing to the right which is the wrong way. (Opposite direction than if it was going forwards).

I meant the wrong way, I edited the post.

jimboalee

If you go to a closed circuit with tight bends, or race in a crit', and the rear end starts drifting out ( arse wipe ), then obey the arrows on the tyre.

OR, if you are conscious about other cyclists pointing and laughing, then change it round.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
according to the late, great sheldon it doesn't matter a fishes tit

hubgearfreak

Über Member
i try to be accurate with my language, i meant fish's, obviously.

apologies to all the pedants:blush: (i'm normally one of you :laugh:)

raindog

er.....
I suppose it depends on how hard you ride, but I should think it's pretty important. It only applies to tyres with a chevron type tread on the side walls. The chevrons should be pointing forward, a bit like an arrow, when looked at astride the bike and facing forward. If you think about it it's obvious - the right way round will give grip when cornering, and the wrong way will slide.

jay clock

Massive member
change them immediately. If you have them the wrong way round the wheels will go backwards instead of forwards and you may crash into the vehicle behind

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
however I know the wheel is on the right way since the cassette can only go on one side! - spot on Sam! You could however turn the front wheel over and then both tyre arrows would be facing the same way - and practice riding backwards.

Top Bottom