Tyre pressure?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tow Path Terror

Bought a new track pump from halfords, own brand one for £20. Checked my tyre pressures and i can't get my tyres above 65psi although the tyres state 85psi? The pumps definately working as i deflated and inflated but as soon as i hit 65psi it just didn't want to budge? Any ideas?

ramses

Is it because you think the tyre is too hard to pump, or that the pump physically can't move?

Does the pump have a pressure limit?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
ERROR buying from halfrauds :biggrin:

Yet i bought one from there and its fine , i could have got one cheaper elsehwere but i needed one there and then, the bashing of the store because they sell cheap bikes and pay staff minimum wages does not reflect on the good stuff they do sell ( eg Boardmans , carrera ).Without them a lot of people would not get into cycling at all.

I would simply return it for a replacement , either the pump is not calibrated or it is not working .Check your inner tubes for pinches/twists/bad valves that maybe stopping pressure getting up to the right amount .

OP
OP
T

Tow Path Terror

Definately eat my spinach, i'm no racing snake! Pump won't physically go any further. Pump goes to 120psi so 85 shouldn't be a problem. Will check inner tubes/valves for any issues and if needs be return pump...

thanks for replies

OP
OP
T

Tow Path Terror

as for the ERROR buying from halfords, i used to be of that same opinion, until they gave me a great service and repaired the damage done by my so called experienced LBS. :biggrin:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Any track pump should be able to exceed 100psi. As stated, check the valves on the tubes to see if they are working. They may be sticking. What size tyres and tubes have you got?

screenman

Legendary Member
Why would the inner tubes have anything to do with the matter, even with the valve shut the line between gauge and tube will pump up to and indicate pressure, it would just take a lot fewer pumps.

Does the tyre still feel soft when you have inflated them as much as possible, could it be the gauge that is faulty, they are not really calibrated on a daily basis.

ohnovino

Large Member
Both tyres? Hard to believe you have identical faults with both tyres/tubes, so surely it's the pump itself.

I'd take the pump back, and ideally go on your bike so if they give you a replacement you can test it there and then.

peelywally

after a certain pressure its normal in some pumps , you need to have confidence and use a full stroke to build compression it wont pop the air in till

last 10cm sometimes ,

if its fully compressing its maybe the valve adapter , ive seen them pop off and just hiss rather than than put the air into the tube ,

ride the bike to shop and ask for a demo if salesman cant do it change it for a pump that you see working .
i get my tyres to 140psi using a fiver track pump from lidl :thumbsup:

Top Bottom