Tyre pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Recently got a new hybrid. I use panniers. Tires say 100 psi max. I don't want to blow the inner tube. What psi shall I put in it?

I cycle on cycle track mainly, bit of road. I weigh 105. Kg. Got xl size frame bike

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If the tyres say 100psi then go for that or just under. They wont go bang if that's what you are afraid of.

rossjevans

I have been wondering why tyres give a pressure recommendation when surely it should be the inner tube? However on some spare tubes I picked up recently there is no mention of what pressure they can safely run.

Foghorn_leghorn

The inner tube's only there to make the wheel and tyre airtight and stop air escaping past the spoke nipples etc. It's the tyre that provides the resistance to the volume of air pumped in and builds pressure.

alasdairgf

I weigh about the same as you, and riding a large-framed bike. My LBS advised I pump up to the max rating for my tyre, or about 5psi below, due to my... generous waistline. Also, they said it was important to check the pressure weekly.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I've got conti gatorskins, and have them at their max of 120psi.

I weigh 98kg, so not the lightest person.

I run at my 125psi max. I've only once been two lazy to pump them up when they felt a bit low and managed to shred my tyre on the way to work. Lesson learned, keep them at 125psi and my poor arse will have to cope.

Top Bottom