Tyre size confusion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

miklos

Veteran
Hi

I have 26 x 1.6 tyres on my ridgeback hybrid bike. Need new tyres and spotted some cheap on ebay, they are 26 x 1.3, will they fit on my rims.

Thanks

I had 26 x 1.95 tyres on my MTB and changed them to 26 x 1.35 with no problems... so I would guess it'll be OK.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
The tyres will fit fine. but you will probably need new inner tubes. Check your inner tubes, they will have a range on them ie 26x1.75/2.25 with 26 being the wheel diameter, and the other figures being the width of the tyre. You want a tube that covers the tyre of your choice. Using a larger tube will blow the tyre off the rim at higher pressures.

OP
OP
M

miklos

Veteran
Thanks, is the 1.3 in the dimensions 26 x 1.3 the width of the tyre or the distance fom the rim the road. 'Trollers' said the 1.3 would give a harsher ride compared to the 1.6,why is this?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Without getting too complicated, the figure 1.3 in this instance is the width of the tyre, but you can get differing heights of tyre. So you could have a 1.3 that puts 'the distance from the rim on the road' at a greater level than others.

I had some 1.5 tyres that were 'high volume' and were horrible squidgy things, that made riding on them feel like riding on a bouncy castle. Gave them away. Changed to a low profile 1.5 and was much happier.
If you want a fast road tyre, you want low profile. What tyres are you looking at?
High volume tyres, 'may' be more comfortable, but they are a pain to ride on ime

1.3 is the width. As for ride, It's not just about less air. In general, the narrower the tyre, the higher the air pressure needs to be inside too, effectively making the tyre feel harder. On the plus side, it also becomes quieter faster and more fun.

Steve is right about the inner tubes. I needed new ones when i slimmed down too.

p.s it's Tollers not Trollers :smile:

OP
OP
M

miklos

Veteran
Ha, sorry Tollers.

So whats the min and max width of a tyre that will fit on my existing rims (they are presently fitted with baldy 1.6's), what deteremines this limit.

The reason I ask about the 1.3 is that I've seen some cheap ones on ebay

Thanks

miklos said:
Ha, sorry Tollers.

So whats the min and max width of a tyre that will fit on my existing rims (they are presently fitted with baldy 1.6's), what deteremines this limit.

The reason I ask about the 1.3 is that I've seen some cheap ones on ebay

Thanks

OK. Now you're testing my knowledge, but i think most 26" rims are between 25mm and 35mm wide. At the wider end i might be worried fitting 1.3" tyres, but those wider rims are more for chuny MTB tyres about 2.5", so i strongly suspect if your bike came with 1.6s, then 1.3s should be no problem.

Don't quote me on this. The mountain bikers probably know more about 26" wheels than i do.

Tollers

GrasB

Veteran
The rule of thumb for small tyres is that the inside of wheel beading must be 2mm or more narrower than your target tyre. eg for a 1.25" tyre you need the rim bead to be 30mm or narrower.

OP
OP
M

miklos

Veteran
Hi Steve Austin

It is a ridgeback cyclone. It has 26x1.6 tyres, dont know what the wheel size is. I'm assuming 26 inch, they are the ones that were on the bike when I bought it new

Thanks

Top Bottom