Tyre sizes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave5N

Dave5N

Über Member
Think I have worked it out now - the tyre size plus twice the width?

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Dave5N said:
Think I have worked it out now - the tyre size plus twice the width?

yes. 622 + (2x23) = 668

but as feckless says, it'd depend on the make, so whilst the above will be close, is close, close enough?

OP
OP
Dave5N

Dave5N

Über Member
hubgearfreak said:
yes. 622 + (2x23) = 668

but as feckless says, it'd depend on the make, so whilst the above will be close, is close, close enough?

That's the problem. AT the moment I am not quite inside three centimetres. ;) Not a lot of leeway.

Why dont you just put a spot of ink on the trye, roll it one revolution and then measure the distance between the two spots of ink??

Best to do this on the kitchen floor when the missus is out and have the ink wiped off before she returns.

Saddle bum

Über Member
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Why dont you just put a spot of ink on the trye, roll it one revolution and then measure the distance between the two spots of ink??

Best to do this on the kitchen floor when the missus is out and have the ink wiped off before she returns.

You have to take account of the fact the tyre goes down a bit when you ride it, under the weight of the rider.

briank

So you sit on the bike, one hand on the worktop/wall, and roll forward one turn of the wheel.

OP
OP
Dave5N

Dave5N

Über Member
I was trying to get as close to gear restriction as possible. Short of buying rings and sprockets in diffferent sizes and trying them, I was doing the maths first to see what would work.

Top Bottom