Tyre Wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mgarl10024

Über Member
Hi all,

My Marin came with a set of "Maxxis Overdrive, 700 x 35c with Kevlar Inside Puncture Protection" and I've been very happy with them. After 2000 miles, and with me being a heavier rider who often commutes with a heavy set of panniers, the rear tyre is definitely starting to look like the tread is wearing (pics attached - hope they're clear enough - I've taken the front too for comparison).

My questions:
- How bad is the wear on the rear tyre? Am I nearing the end of it's life, or it is only 1/3rd of the way worn?
- If nearing the end of it's life, do most people simply replace the tyre, or should I swap it with the front tyre and wear them both?

Thanks,

MG

Attachments

• DSCF1396_rotated_front.jpeg
    DSCF1396_rotated_front.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 123
  • DSCF1403_rotated_rear.jpeg
    DSCF1403_rotated_rear.jpeg
    995.6 KB · Views: 124

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I reckon you can ride a little longer with that - maybe up to 2500 miles.

I'd order a replacement tyre anyway and have it ready for the changeover.

Don't put front on the rear to even out wear. Front tyre should always be in good condition as front tyre blowouts / punctures are far more dangerous than rear ones.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I reckon you can ride a little longer with that - maybe up to 2500 miles.

I'd order a replacement tyre anyway and have it ready for the changeover.

Don't put front on the rear to even out wear. Front tyre should always be in good condition as front tyre blowouts / punctures are far more dangerous than rear ones.

It still looks ok to me. As moodyman says though, get some spares in ready.

Are you getting lots of punctures? If not I wouldn't worry about it yet. Sheldon Brown has an extensive article here that may be of interest.

byegad

Legendary Member
There's two schools of thought. One is wear it completely out, until the tread starts to show carcass.
The other is replace now.

The rear tyre will get more punctures in that state than when new and for me that's the decider. I'd rather ride than repair punctures.

Also in a fast corner you'll be cornering the rear tyre on a much smaller contact patch. If like me you like to let her rip down hill that would be another reason to change.

It depends on how much you like, or at least don't mind an extra puncture or two and how fast you ride.

You've not had too long out of that tyre my wide 37s got to around 6500 before the rear started to look like that. As it was the rear (and because of money :blush: ) I decided to go with the train of thought to wear it to the bone (so as to speak) and replace it when I started to get frequent p'tures (I did similar with my 25mm conti 4 season). If it had been the fron't I would have replaced it immediately. 2000 miles later I've had one p'ture (a drawing pin left conveniently for me :angry: ) other than the tyre is holding up fine and I'm in no hurry to replace it.

Horrid horrid cheap heavy OE tyres - if in doubt replace.

Can I suggest fitting your new (skinnier, lighter, faster) tyre to the front and moving your old front to the back. Just to wear it out quicker mind you - not for any performance or safety benefits.

OP
OP
mgarl10024

mgarl10024

Über Member
Hi Moodyman, martint235, byegad, HLaB, and mickle,

It sounds as if I have a little bit more life left in this tyre, but that I need to think about a replacement. It isn't currently (tempting fate :whistle:) giving me punctures yet, but when it does I'll know it is time to retire it (pun intended :tongue:).

Horrid horrid cheap heavy OE tyres
OE = over engineered?
I'm glad that you said this as I was unknowingly just going to replace like for like. I know that people may have different views here, but what is a good tyre?
- I'm not the quickest cyclist out there - more of a 12-14mph plodder.
- Puncture resistance is important to me (a colleague bought some super-light tyres and was always fixing punctures - I couldn't see the point) - though, without extremes, the idea of something lighter/faster that'll make my pedalling easier is appealing.
- I don't have bags of cash, but I'm happy to pay more for something that's gonna be better quality and durable (I'm liking the sound of 6500 miles rather than 2500!).
- I am tempted to try thinner. I'm not sure how much thinner I can go than the supplied 35mm on the rims I have - perhaps I could try a 32?

Thoughts welcome from all.

Thanks again, :thumbsup:

MG

Moodyman

Legendary Member
OE = Original Equipment.

The argument goes that bike companies want to make a particular price point. and one way of doing this is putting cheaper lesser quality tyres from the Far East (i.e. Kenda & Maxxis) as opposed to anything from Europe (Continental, Schwalbe or Michelin).

Having said that Maxxiss are not bad for OE tyres. They're not the best, but you could do worse. I'd do what Mickle says and look for slick/near slick when your OE tyres wear out. Something like Schwalbe City Jet, Schwalbe Marathon or Continental Sport Contact will do much for your riding enjoyment.

If you wants absolute durability and puncture protection get the Marathon Pluses. They're a lot faster than your Maxxis but slower than the ones mentioned above.

sabian92

Über Member
+1 for the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres. I've got 1.75's but i could've easily gone down a lot more than that (they go from 700x38 down to 700x25, or a 26x1.75 down to a 26x1.25), and they are bulletproof. I'm exactly like you (16st, 14mphish, just no panniers) and they're great. They're a little expensive but they are worth the money - and you'll likely not fix a puncture for months on end with them.

Marathon Plusses on Evans

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I would swap the front and back around TBH and run it a bit longer if you are not having any fairy visits.

My back tyre wears out like that as i commute with panniers as well.

Top Bottom