Tyres - Check price

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycletwin

Hi all, taking advice from forum. I called into local bike shop for price on semi-slick tyres. Quoted £16 per tyre and £10 labour to fit. Is this about right ?

Also, want a lighter waterproof (current one good for walking) went into outdoor pursuits shops and hadnt got clue which ones did which job i.e running, bike etc... dont want to spend lots, avg price seemend to be £50 - ouch.... Any advice appreciated on this subject too.

Many thanks :-)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes

Though there are many tyres at different prices.

Hi all, taking advice from forum. I called into local bike shop for price on semi-slick tyres. Quoted £16 per tyre and £10 labour to fit. Is this about right ?

Also, want a lighter waterproof (current one good for walking) went into outdoor pursuits shops and hadnt got clue which ones did which job i.e running, bike etc... dont want to spend lots, avg price seemend to be £50 - ouch.... Any advice appreciated on this subject too.

Many thanks :-)

potsy

Rambler
Can you not fit them yourself and save a tenner? Good practice too for when you puncture.
Depends on the make/model of the tyre,lbs price will be higher than on-line

My lbs doesn't charge for labour to fit any parts you buy from them, but I think this is the exception rather than the norm... £10 to fit a tyre is pretty steep imo :ohmy:

Save the £10 fit them your self and by better tyres or some other treat.

The best waterproof I've got isn't actually fully waterproof its weather proof, the Montane Featherlite Velo (£39:99) its breathable and light and store in a little bag the size of an apple. For £50 quid though you've really got to make a compromise like I did waterproofness v breathability, it depends what you want and want it for.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
buy the tyres then settle yourself down at computer and watch some 'how to' videos on somewhere like bicycle tutor.com. Learning to take wheels on and off, remove and refit tyres and change tubes is extremely useful.

Waterproof wise I quickly came to the conclusion that I'd aim for breathability over weatherproofing. I have an Altura Nightvision which, even with the pit xips undone, is cold weather only wear, unless you cycle really slowly. I also got the Montane and like it but to be honest it's had very little wear. Commuting I just get wet, I have showers and changes at both ends and always have fresh cycling gear for return leg. Fun rides, if it's that wet then I'd just head for home.

OP
OP
C

cycletwin

Thanks everyone. Taking proficiency test 3rd week Aug with begin maintenance. Will see how I feel about change tyres then with help videos on internet. Waterproof wise - thanks for names at least I can take a look and view choice.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
to give you an idea, with my first bike I paid a local mechanic £20 to set it up properly with me and change the tyres, bars etc. He spent about 2 hours going over bike top to bottom with me. It didn't cover everything but was really useful for the usaul suspects like wheel/tyre/tube changes, brakes, gears and checking everything is as it should be. Money well spent in my opinion.

crumpetman

I know it takes me a lot longer than 10 mins to change two tyres, or even one tyre. I would drop the bike in to the LBS and go to the pub for a while :smile: BTW that is not good advice.

battered

Guru
£10 to fit a tyre they have supplied is outrageous. It takes 10 minutes and no special equipment. If you were in Leeds I'd show you how to DIY, it's an essential skill for any cyclist.

(This offer is open to anyone who *is* in/near Leeds and wants a bit of advice on bike mechanics BTW)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
They are having a laugh ?

£10 is a con job,even at my slow tyre changing speed i would be on £50 easily an hour, mmmmmmmmmmm looks into the possibility of setting up outside the shop offering pricing cheaper than instore :tongue:

kevcampbell

what a joke, £10 is a rip off

i would tell that to the person trying to sell me the service too i think
laugh.gif

Top Bottom