Tyres for Tricross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wingdiver

Hi
Looking to get some new tyres.
Basic idea is road use 90% but some on dirty stuff but no lumps.
I assume puncture resistant too.
Got any ideas?
Cheers

RedBike

What do you mean by lumps?

Are we talking an aggresive cyclo-x tyre here to keep you upright in the mud or more of a touring tyre for use along surfaced paths?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
On mine (a Singlecross) I use 28 mm Armadillos. If I was doing occasional unsurfaced paths but not deep mud I might stick on some 32s. I find them to be pretty tough -I have very few punctures. There are other puncture-resistant tyres around.

OP
OP
wingdiver

wingdiver

The latter - concrete byways, compacted dirt, sandy stuff. No hops, jumps etc
What do you mean by lumps?

Are we talking an aggresive cyclo-x tyre here to keep you upright in the mud or more of a touring tyre for use along surfaced paths?

RedBike

The latter - concrete byways, compacted dirt, sandy stuff. No hops, jumps etc

In that case you don't need any specific tread pattern, you can get away with a slick tyre if you rode carefullly or a semi slick to give you that bit more bite on the compacted dirt. (My Tri-cross originally came with a set of pretty rubbish semi-slick tyres on it.)

The wider the tyre the more 'cushioning' the tyre will have but generally a wider tyre means more weight / harder work.
Likewise a tread pattern will increase your grip on the dirt but it will also dramatically increase your rollng resistance.

I would opt for 'slick' a touring tyre about 30mm wide. You'll have to take the dirt sections easy but it should roll alright on the road.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Tyres_-_Road_City/

Sadly concrete byways tend to have a lot of glass on them so it might be worth thinking about a highly puncture resistant tyre like the Marathon+. Be warned though, they weigh a ton!

Top Bottom