Tyres, tyres, tyres ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
After a small interlude (about a year ... *ahem*), I have started frequently road cycling again 'coz I was turning into a fat knacker, innit.

Anyway, I dug out the road bike, all was in good working order ... except the tyres! They had just rotted, even though the bike was in the shade!

I fitted some Continental Grand Prix 4000's (not cheap) in late '06, rode on them all through '07, noticed they were starting to look a bit ragged at the end of '07, bike in garage all through '08, got the bike out this year and the rubber has just completely gone (cracked) after only about 800 miles! Also I remember I had to replace one in 2007 because it blew after about 500 miles. On closer inspection of the tyre itself, it is full of all sorts of rips, scratches, big chunks dug out of it, etc, etc. Not the best quality rubber - even my MTB tyres are in better condition and they take far more of a hammering.

Anyway, I thought, I will not be buying another pair of those. So I have gone this time for a pair of Schwalbe Ultremo R Evolution - incredibly light and I have read nothing but good reviews about them - including one person who said he went from continentals to schwalbes and wished he'd done so far sooner.

So, anway, if you're thinking of buying Continental Grand Prix 4000's ... don't!

I will be back with a report on the Schwalbes when they arrive ... for the moment I will be riding on my Continentals and praying they don't blow on a fast downhill section!

Never mind performance, what colours do they come in.

Top Bottom