1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyres winter/summer

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by MrGrumpy, 4 Mar 2008.

1. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Huge Member

Do folk on here run the same tyres all year round or do you switch to something lighter for spring/summer ? In my case much as the marathon pluses are bullet proof they aren`t exactly the fastest tyre on the block, so can see me swapping back to something a bit nippier.

2. Wolf04

Wolf04 New Member

I'm currently using Marathon Racers which are a lot lighter and are so far bullet proof after almost a year, so I think I'll stick with these all year round.;)

3. My summer bike runs Conti Grand Prix (21mm), my winter bike runs conti 4 seasons (25mm) and my commuter used all year round runs with conti contacts (38mm). So I guess I do use narrower tyres for the summer on road bikes but I don't bother for the commute, its not far enough.

4. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Same tyres all year round, but commuter runs some Vittoria Randonneurs 26 x 1.5 all year round, and Pro race 2's on my other 2 bikes all year.

5. walker

walker New Member

I've run michelin Krlion Carbons all year round on the commuter, recently just changed them after they'd managed to do around 3k miles last year.

6. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

I've stayed with Conti GP4000s on the wrongster, and Schwalbe Stelvios on the recumbent.

7. Maz

Maz Guru

Same tyres all year round 23mm Spesh All Cond Pro.
    Same bike all year round, too.

8. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

marathons all year round, it still rains in the summer surely?

suppose I'll be on sexy 25s shortly on the new bike and I can start becoming a tyre fetishist

not a winter/summer thing surely?

just that those Marathon Pluses are simply silly and heavy?

9. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

I'm running 25C Stelvios at the moment (loving them too, so much better than the Kendas that came with the bike).

Tempted to try some 23s over the Summer though, maybe Tricomps...

Tynan - to some extent you probably will - I got my Stelvios largely because I wanted a bit more UDE proofness than the Kendas that come fitted to the Giant provide, but over and above that I've been surprised at the difference they make to the "feel" of the bike overall (far, far nicer, imo).

10. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

vittoria rubinos on both road bikes. as i don't race, they're fine for me.

11. Wolf04

Wolf04 New Member

12. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Undoubtedly xx( Hopefully less often than with the Kendas though, whose puncture protection consists of a single layer of 2 ply bog roll :biggrin:

13. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

Condor bloke almost forced me to get Ultra Gators, swore by them

we'll see I guess

14. Wolf04

Wolf04 New Member

I've used them before, nice and fast but not bombproof. I had about 3 visits from the fairy over a year (4500 miles) so pretty good.
    Pete

15. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland