Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srj10

Guru
I have been cycling for approx. 1 year now and in the last fortnight have picked up a few punctures and think it might be time to replace the tyres. On searching the net there seems to be 2 main types of tyre,wire bead or folding, can anyone explain the difference and if one is more durable or easier to fit. thanks in advance

P.S. I am leaning towards ultra gatorskins or bontrager hardcase, any recs. welcome.

battered

Guru
Ease of fit is more about exact size than anything else IME. Some are a nightmare from the off and remain so, others ease up in use.

Wire bead tyres have to be kept round, so if you never plan to transport them off the bike, they are OK. Folding tyres are just that, you can fold them flat without damage and carry them as spares if you plan any epic trips.

RedBike

The wire bead around a tyre isn't flexable so the unfitted tyres cannot be folded. Wire bead tyres are also generally slightly heavier.

Never noticed any real difference in fitting.

killiekosmos

Veteran
I've got ultra gatorskins. Easy to get on and off the rims. Up to last week I had gone a year without a p****ure on them.

RedBike

P.S. I am leaning towards ultra gatorskins or bontrager hardcase, any recs. welcome.

You'll find a lot of mixed views on gatorskins. They're a hard wearing, quick rolling tyre thats reasonably puncture resistant and light for the price. The big negative is they are lethal on anything wet and metal. Having gone flying twice because of these tyres and wet man hole covers I will never touch a set again.

A big thumbs up for the Bonty Hardcase from me.
Highly puncture resistance, they roll alright and seem to have reliable grip in the wet and dry.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I'm a Gatorskin fan. Only ever had 1 puncture and upon inspection looked like a helluva shard of glass ripped the tyre, to cause it.

As for safety in the wet - just try to avoid wet manhole covers but that's worth doing regardless of the tyre fitted, I would say :smile:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Folding tyres are more expensive, it is only worth paying the extra if you plan to carry them around with you. As the handling properties of Conti Gatorskins, Europe's most popular winter training tyre, I have never had a problem with them and I suspect it is like bad workmen blaming their tools...

Top Bottom