UCI decide on Astana today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

justAl

Should the UCI take in to consideration the possible appointments of Yvon Sanquer (formely of Festina) and Guiseppe Martinelli ( formely Directeur sportif of Pantani). Is this how the sport is being cleaned up and the start of a new era? Hmmm

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
justAl said:
Should the UCI take in to consideration the possible appointments of Yvon Sanquer (formely of Festina) and Guiseppe Martinelli ( formely Directeur sportif of Pantani). Is this how the sport is being cleaned up and the start of a new era? Hmmm
hhmmm indeed. Where are Flavio Briatore and Freddie Shepherd when you need them to bring a touch of class to the proceedings...?

Keith Oates

Janner
The way that Vinokourov (sp) told Bruyneel to lump it of like it but he was coming back, I guess any other DS would also have to be 'guided' by him as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will1985

Über Member
Cyclingnews reporting that Tiralongo has signed. A reasonably good rider like that isn't going to sign for a team which may potentially lose its ProTour status within hours. I wonder if we should read into this...

yello

Well, I'm starting to believe UCI have decided already... and Astana are not getting a licence.

Methinks the departure of several personnel to TeamShack, whilst still supposedly under contract to Astana, would not have happened if UCI were to grant Astana a licence.

Will1985

Über Member
I'd hope so....I'd rather not have to see Vinokourov racing at all. Bar a few riders they are starting to look like a national outfit again.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Clearly the contents of the first brown envelope were not satisfactory...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Noodley said:
It seems McQuaid is saying no decision until mid November according to a poster on bikeradar.

I suspect they don't really want Astana but as they've stumped up the wonga they're going to have to think ever so hard for another reason to dump them.

yello

Keith Oates said:
It also gives the green light for Contador to move teams, this could be the chance he wanted!

Seems like it does doesn't it. So when do we expect him to announce his departure? Surely he won't stay??

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The UCI have confirmed that Bertie can go!

see here

I suspect he'd prefer Caisse d'Epaigne for personnel reasons but if it's Garmin then Wiggo can go to Sky. I don't know if that's a good thing for Brad or not. For a start are they definitely get a tour place and will their roster be up to supporting a GC contender?

yello

rich p said:
will their roster be up to supporting a GC contender?

That's my concern. I'd like to think it will be but (and I'll readily admit my concerns are based on negligible knowledge) my gut reaction is 'no'. I reckon BW's best option is to stay at Garmin for another year and hope Contador goes elsewhere.

I don't think Contador is a QuickStep rider myself (doesn't fit my idea of one!!) and I see him fitting into Caisse d’Epargne.

Top Bottom