UCI sues Landis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Apparently McQuaid has tired of Landis alleging that US Postal and the UCI were in cahoots. So they (MacQuaid, Verbruggen and the UCI) are suing him.

I can't see the point. Landis has no money. He lives in the US, where the 1st Amendment gives him almost complete freedom to say what he wants, and where the US courts have turned their noses up at libel tourists getting judgements in the UK. And then........surely it offers Landis a really big stage from which to launch a speaking career.

Still - at least McQuaid can be sure that the mailman will deliver the letter. In record time.

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
PR value perhaps - what is the implication of saying nothing?

If they ( Mc Quaid / Verbruggen) can add more weight to the "Landis is a nutter with no credibility" argument then whatever the result ( eg nothing because of the jurisdiction / libel tourism element that you highlight) - they are seeking to dominate the narrative to this effect.

Actually, I think Landis is just saying what everyone else is thinking - donations for blood testing equipment aside, it would seem that he has eliminated the impossible (consistent top performance - no PED sanction, despite evidence) and considers what remains (however improbable) is the truth i.e. collusion between the User and regulated in return for investment in the sport (or for the UCI to increase the price for entry into the game)

BJH

Über Member
PR value perhaps - what is the implication of saying nothing?

If they ( Mc Quaid / Verbruggen) can add more weight to the "Landis is a nutter with no credibility" argument then whatever the result ( eg nothing because of the jurisdiction / libel tourism element that you highlight) - they are seeking to dominate the narrative to this effect.

Actually, I think Landis is just saying what everyone else is thinking - donations for blood testing equipment aside, it would seem that he has eliminated the impossible (consistent top performance - no PED sanction, despite evidence) and considers what remains (however improbable) is the truth i.e. collusion between the User and regulated in return for investment in the sport (or for the UCI to increase the price for entry into the game)

Well said !

I suspect this will not go anywhere near to a trial. More like an LA threat to sue!

Top Bottom