• Suspend the deal

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Amend the deal

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 7 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@icowden "After a 42% plunge in January in sales to the EU, February's bounce back of 46.6%"

I don't know your source, but on an arithmetic point, we can note that a 42% drop followed by a 46.6% rise is a net fall of 15%.

The desperation to pretend black is white on this thread is a good reminder that Brexit has caused a lasting devaluation of fact based discussion.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Please kindly read again to see there was no bold assertion of anything, to the point where my question can still stand.
OK, OK.

My inference that @monkers was asserting the majority of the population are unhappy with Brexit was incorrect.

You don't think it's a bit early to judge?
Yes, but inevitably we all make judgments 'in running', and too early to judge cuts both ways.

Who wins this particular race is yet to be determined, if it ever is, but the predictable bounce back in February is encouraging.

As is the Bank of England's latest prediction of modest growth for the economy this year, particularly in light of the pandemic which surely must have done more to knacker trade than Brexit ever could.

monkers

Über Member
@PaleRider

OK, OK.

My inference that @monkers was asserting the majority of the population are unhappy with Brexit was incorrect.
Thank you, the correction is much appreciated. Funnily enough, by pure coincidence I had looked at that graph only yesterday, so the data was already familiar as I typed the question.

I am not sure Ireland are particularly good Europeans. They turned themselves into a tax haven with their low corporation tax rates. They retained their tax sovereignty in return for voting the right way the second time over the Lisbon Treaty. Their commitment to neutrality means they wouldn't agree to take part in a European defence force, which the EU have discussed. They have to consult their population via referendum every time they concede any sovereignty to the EU, which means the agreements hammered out by 27 countries can be held up by the whims of a population representing 1% of the EU population.
I'm confused.
Ireland joined the (now) EU at the exact same time as the UK. How does Ireland have so much Sovereignty and yet the UK had so little it needed to leave?

GetFatty

OK, OK.

Yes, but inevitably we all make judgments 'in running', and too early to judge cuts both ways.

Who wins this particular race is yet to be determined, if it ever is, but the predictable bounce back in February is encouraging.

As is the Bank of England's latest prediction of modest growth for the economy this year, particularly in light of the pandemic which surely must have done more to knacker trade than Brexit ever could.
From memory, that modest growth is what would have been a V shape recovery from the pandemic so the fact it's now modest suggests quite a flattening effect from Brexit

Pah, a crude attempt to grab the intellectual high ground.

This ain't, never was, and never will be the Oxford Union.
I can feel a Marxist deconstruction of your semiotics coming on. AKA a rant (I think we're overdue a rant).

First of all, there is absolutely nothing "intellectual" about honesty. Intellectuals are no more, or less likely to be honest than anyone else is. Your crude attempt to impose a class based hierarchy claiming the bourgoisie are somehow more worthy than the working class is transparent.

Secondly, the Oxford Union is not a training ground for moral principles and honesty. Quite the opposite; it is intended again to impose a dialectic of aristocratic virtue in political discourse whilst in reality promoting the precise opposite; it is no less than a forum to hone the skills of rhetorical dishonesty in order to maintain class power.

Short version for proles:
Cyclechat is by practice and design more, not less honest that the Oxford Union, and you are attempting to deflect from your falsehood.

monkers

Über Member
I'm confused.
Ireland joined the (now) EU at the exact same time as the UK. How does Ireland have so much Sovereignty and yet the UK had so little it needed to leave?
Quite, there's also the matter that the UK is the biggest player in facilitating global tax dodging, and also the matter that the UK government are planning on opening 'freeports' - I think we know what that means - more opportunity for more sleaze.

Ireland does not require a referendum for each EU treaty, it requires it for every change to its constitution, EU related or otherwise.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I can feel a Marxist deconstruction of your semiotics coming on. AKA a rant (I think we're overdue a rant).

First of all, there is absolutely nothing "intellectual" about honesty. Intellectuals are no more, or less likely to be honest than anyone else is. Your crude attempt to impose a class based hierarchy claiming the bourgoisie are somehow more worthy than the working class is transparent.

Secondly, the Oxford Union is not a training ground for moral principles and honesty. Quite the opposite; it is intended again to impose a dialectic of aristocratic virtue in political discourse whilst in reality promoting the precise opposite; it is no less than a forum to hone the skills of rhetorical dishonesty in order to maintain class power.

Short version for proles:
Cyclechat is by practice and design more, not less honest that the Oxford Union, and you are attempting to deflect from your falsehood.
I can't even get the short version for proles.

Which confirms your view that all remainers are intellectual giants, and all Brexiteers are crude, nationalistic thickos.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This is known as "projection"
No it's not, it's known as taking the mick out of your continued instance that all remainers are clear, right thinking individuals and all Brexiteers are stupid and wrong, believing, to quote your most recent assertion, 'black is white'.

Top Bottom