• Amend the deal

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 7 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JBGooner

Über Member
Well, threatening to break international law isn't really a good negotiation strategy.
Yes, so why does the EU insist that the UK implement the NI Protocol to the letter, when the Unionists there consider that it has broken the Good Friday Agreement? :rolleyes:

I suspect that the Unionists are not the best judge of what does and doesn't break international law.
They were used by Johnson once, and I fear are about to fall into the same trap twice as they are useful patsies for deflecting blame on the EU for Johnson. As long as he can maintain an anti-EU narrative, he's quite happy, regardless of the consequences for NI, whom it should now be blindingly obvious, he is absolutely indifferent to.

JBGooner

Über Member
I suspect that the Unionists are not the best judge of what does and doesn't break international law.
They are judges of what does and doesn't break the Good Friday Agreement, along with the Nationalists.

Hopefully the EU will send a strong delegation to Northern Ireland to explain to the Unionists why they are wrong. :laugh:

Hopefully the EU will send a strong delegation to Northern Ireland to explain to the Unionists why they are wrong. :laugh:
I'm not sure that the unfolding situation in NI is particularly amusing, but it is a fact that the EU spent much more time engaging there through the negotiations than our own leaders.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/publicati...-movement-ireland-european-year-award-2020_en

I challenge you to find anything remotely thoughtful and nuanced from the British side.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Four!

Just because we've left the club, it doesn't mean we should not use our best efforts to get good terms when we return to play as a day member.

More interestingly my older brother is the only person I know who has actually been 'blackballed', or at least admits to it.

It was by the membership committee of a golf club who clearly thought a lot of themselves.

Brother wasn't too fussed, as a new member, all they were offering was the chance to play when no one else wanted to, something like only on a Tuesday night when it was raining.
That's left me scratching my fourhead!

JBGooner

Über Member
I'm not sure that the unfolding situation in NI is particularly amusing, but it is a fact that the EU spent much more time engaging there through the negotiations than our own leaders.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/publicati...-movement-ireland-european-year-award-2020_en

I challenge you to find anything remotely thoughtful and nuanced from the British side.
I reject your challenge but that Barnier speech sure did remind me of this

Yes, so why does the EU insist that the UK implement the NI Protocol to the letter, when the Unionists there consider that it has broken the Good Friday Agreement? :rolleyes:
That would be because we agreed to it.
2016:
UK: We want to leave the EU
EU (especially ROI): Um... that will cause lots of problems with things like the Good Friday Agreement
UK: No it wont, that's all project fear.

2020:
UK: The EU needs to find a solution to Northern Ireland.
EU: Well, you could stay in the Customs union, so there doesn't need to be a border.
UK: Don't wanna. We'll have a technological border between NI and the ROI.
EU/ROI/USA: And what is that exactly?
UK: It's an invisible technological border, obviously... with um... cameras. And... technology. Yeah.
EU/ROI/USA: Have you got an example of this working anywhere in the world?
UK: (Chirping crickets)
EU/ROI: We could have a customs border between Britain and NI so that NI stays in the EU customs zone. Of course it means we have to bend our rules but we'll trust you because we know you want to maintain peace just like we do.
UK: Er... Yeah, good idea...
EU: Okay, sign here.

2021:
EU: You need to start making that customs border or the agreement we made is broken.
UK: Oh, um... we didn't read it properly... and we had our fingers crossed... Why are you expecting us to follow agreements we signed with other countries? We're British.
EU/ROI/USA: Fair point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom