W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not sure but if you disconnect the cable and pull the cage across by hand to its extremes while turning the adjustment screws you’ll find out.

cheys03

Veteran
I always forget which is which and end up checking each time I adjust the gears. The way I check is to bring my head down so my left ear is about level with the rear axle and peek at the back of the derailleur with a torch. Can usually see the end of the screws, then shift to the biggest or smallest ring and see which screw end is closer to the armature. You can push the derailleur that little bit further so the armature meets the screw end while you watch it to be certain.

cheys03

Veteran
Another method similar to @Cycleops suggestion is to shift to the big ring, then turn one of the screws in (clockwise) say 5 turns (make sure you keep count!) until you see the cage move inwards towards the small ring. If it does, that’s the screw for the large ring. If it doesn’t, it’s the other one! In that case, unscrew the first the counted number of turns and do the same procedure with the second screw to confirm. Sounds complicated but usually quite quick. You may even be able to feel the screw meet the armature as you turn, giving you a bit of a heads-up before the cage moves too.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I always forget which is which and end up checking each time I adjust the gears. The way I check is to bring my head down so my left ear is about level with the rear axle and peek at the back of the derailleur with a torch. Can usually see the end of the screws, then shift to the biggest or smallest ring and see which screw end is closer to the armature. You can push the derailleur that little bit further so the armature meets the screw end while you watch it to be certain.
^^This^^

Top Bottom