Ultegra Ice or Dura Ace?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
which one?

Is Dura Ace worth the extra cash? i read somewhere that Dura Ace wears quicker. Is that right and, if so, would i be better off with Ultegra? (which would then mean i could afford better wheels)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Go with Ultegra and have better wheels...they'll make you faster, the difference between Ultegra and DA probably wont...unless you're Lance A.
DA= Look faster. Better Wheels = Go Faster!

What are the choices...bike, wheels etc?

Oh, and buy some Michelins...PR2's or 3's.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
DA is better, the only thing I wouldn't go for is the cassette - too lightweight - I'm no weight weenie - the stuff has to last - I'm using 7400 series DA and it is very very good all these years later....

The only issue I see with the new Ultegra SL is that the anodising will wear off the cranks and levers pretty fast with use - i.e. shoe rub / hand rub.... someone tell me that doesn't happen......... cos that would be brill.

There is too much focus on bike weight, compared to the human sat on it..... no point spending mega bucks to get a 7kg bike when you'd perform much better on a 10kg bike, but shedding a few kg's yourself..... wheels do make a slight difference, but DA is silky smooth...

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
Fab Foodie said:
What are the choices...bike, wheels etc?

well i really really want a pinarello but am a bit strapped for cash ;) (FP5 with ultegra £2175 or thereabouts)

so was thinking one of the Focus Cayo's

Pro - as it comes with SRAM force and Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels (£1700)

or

Expert - as it comes with DA but upgrading wheels to maybe something like the what's on the Pro (£1300 plus approx £350 for wheels)

or

standard Cayo with Ultegra - but upgrade the wheels to something like Fulcrum Racing Zero. (£999 plus approx £600 for wheels)

All Cayo frames are same but shite colour xx( would need the Fulcrum Zero's to brighten it up!

(but still really want the Pinarello)

MichaelM

Guru
I don't have one, and I've not ridden one. But from my experience of the On One Inbred and the Pompino, there's something about the fit of the bikes that I like,

I was looking at a Pro Carbon (Ultegra) in the LBS yesterday, up close it seems well made - have to admit I'm tempted. They also do a full Ultegra SL model with Reynolds Solitude wheels for £1299.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
you're just adding confusion now! everytime i almost decide some other bugga throws a spanner in the works!

back to the drawing board!

largest frame size is 56 tho, and i'm usually 58 (very tall am I!)

MichaelM

Guru
buggi said:
you're just adding confusion now! everytime i almost decide some other bugga throws a spanner in the works!

back to the drawing board!

largest frame size is 56 tho, and i'm usually 58 (very tall am I!)

I'm going through the same thing myself. Almost decide, dither, see something else.

Ref size - go by the S/M/LG etc etc rather than by cm. I ride a 53 cm Lemond. My 51cm Pompino has similar measurements. And the 48cm Pro Carbon is the closest to that.

Anyway, back to the night time dithering... choosing groupsetc/wheels/frames etc etc... until I see something better!!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
'Walker' has the Planet-X Carbon, give him a 'Ping'.
I think part of your dilemma is what you want the bike to be? If it were me, I'd lust after a Pinarello as a dream machine, but If I wanted a bike just to go fast and effortlessly then I'd go with the Focus or the Planet X and buy a fixie or a folder or something else with the change.
Planet X is not a million miles away if they do visits/test-rides.

robbarker

I noticed that parker International have some Pinarello frames on sale that should be your size (60 or 61 C-T so about 58 C-C) and would allow you to get a groupset from someone like Merlin and a decent set of handbuilt wheels for your budget.

walker

simonali said:

Did'nt the 2007 Scott not come with Yellow Hoods?

Yes the PX is the mutts nutts of a bike. As I said in the other thread this bike is lighter than the Trek Madone 5.2 thats more than double the price. I guess this is down to it not being a Monocoque frame.
For the money you really cannot go wrong. To be honest I think once you've ridden a PX you are quite spoilt on what you get against other frames from other manufactuers.

Frame sizing is a little smaller than others as it has a sloping down tube. I normally ride a 57/58 but this frame is only a large and it fit's me fine.

Top Bottom