Unable to adjust rear derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jorgemartin

Hello,

I've just installed a new rear derailleur and can't make it work.
It's a SRAM x9 short cage derailleur (working together with an SRAM dualdrive 3xspeed hub)

This is what I've done:
- Set the gripshift to position 9
- Rest the derailleur on the smaller sprocket
- Clamp the cable
- Twist the shifter while pedaling

When it gets to the big sprocket it doesn't want to come back.

One added complication is that I'm doing this with a nearly 4 metre long chain for a recumbent that must go through some tubing and a tensioner pulley. That's why I'm not so sure if the chain length is correct and I'm wondering it this problem is being caused by chain that is too short? Or is this completely unrelated?

Any ideas?

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
have you checked the gear cable...is it moving freely? When the chain is on the largest sprocket is the top jockey wheel clear of the sprocket or is it touching? What sort of angle is the cage at when you're on the largest sprocket? All these could give us more info and point to a solution. A photo would be useful

OP
OP
jorgemartin

jorgemartin

OP
OP
jorgemartin

jorgemartin

Have checked that the gear cable moves freely and have replaced outer which was a bit tatty. I'm of the mind that the guide pulley might be too close to the largest sprocket so I'm going to play with that...

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Have checked that the gear cable moves freely and have replaced outer which was a bit tatty. I'm of the mind that the guide pulley might be too close to the largest sprocket so I'm going to play with that...

Before you do, what happens if you change gear by pulling the cable rather than using the shifters (if you are able to do so)?

OP
OP
jorgemartin

jorgemartin

Same thing... The chain remains on the large sprocket, doesn't mover and the whole thing vibrates and makes a bit of a racket...

OP
OP
jorgemartin

jorgemartin

From small to big sprocket, yes, it's going back that is the problem...

Top Bottom