Uncomfortable, hot and hideous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I've tried a helmet and found it uncomfortable. I wouldn't want to ride any distance with one on because of becoming over heated and more sweaty than usual. Anothr quite minor concern really is that they look absolutely horrible. Truely hideous pieces of alien architecture. The only ones that look half decent are the very plain and smooth domed bmx type of helmet sort of akin to the skateboard hat. Also those little caps they used to wear on tdf and other races back in the mists of time looked ok but I doubt they offered much protection.
Are there any helmets that do not look like they were designed by Gieger (Man who designed the alien in Alien) apart from the bmx things.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I've tried a helmet and found it uncomfortable. I wouldn't want to ride any distance with one on because of becoming over heated and more sweaty than usual. Anothr quite minor concern really is that they look absolutely horrible. Truely hideous pieces of alien architecture. The only ones that look half decent are the very plain and smooth domed bmx type of helmet sort of akin to the skateboard hat. Also those little caps they used to wear on tdf and other races back in the mists of time looked ok but I doubt they offered much protection.
Are there any helmets that do not look like they were designed by Gieger (Man who designed the alien in Alien) apart from the bmx things.

What helmet did you try? If you like the pisspots (bmx style helmets) why not use pone of them

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
A Brompton rider I see locally has one with Evil Kneivel style decoration on it.

It's a BMX style one, but damn, I'd boil my head too to look that cool.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

to me they also look like they offer better protection too

I wear a special invisible one available from the bike shop in Diagon Alley. It takes up no space off the bike, is comfortable, weighs nothing, looks good and protects just as well as any other helmet. The only problem is finding where I put it down ;)

JohnHenry

Loose member.
I felt the same about the seatbelts in my car until I sewed some sequins on them - now I look cool and am still safe as houses. It's a win-win situation. :rolleyes:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A Buff works as a great helmet.
Warm in winter and cool in the summer...soaks up the sweat too..

Davidc

Guru
I've wonderd if those BMX helmets would be less likely than the usual ones to twist your head and break your neck if you had an accident.

In summer my helmet spends a lot of time off my head, on the rack. It's just too hot to wear. Given the minute probability of having an accident, that the protection offered by them is minimal if not zero, plus the increased risk of an accident from passing out with the heat if I keep it on, it doesn't bother me. I just feel more comfortable.

In winter I wear the helmet most of the time. It keeps my head warm. I sometimes put my wooly hat on underneath it too.

Orange

I've never owned or even worn a helmet in over 40 years. Possibly a risk and I'm sure all those Tour de France ridewrs don't wear them for no reason.

It is funny to see the white non-tan lines from their chinstraps when they take them off and are being interviewed though.
:biggrin:

Dan B

Disengaged member
Skate helmets are only tested to EN 1078 just as the majority of the polystyrene vented type. So its difficult to assess.

Indeed, speed skaters generally wear cycle helmets not skate helmets anyway due to the need for better ventilation than the smooth round ones provide.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I've never owned or even worn a helmet in over 40 years. Possibly a risk and I'm sure all those Tour de France ridewrs don't wear them for no reason.

It is funny to see the white non-tan lines from their chinstraps when they take them off and are being interviewed though.
:biggrin:

I think pro riders wear them because they have to, not because they want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom