Underrated Actors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Leonardo Di Caprio - no really. Forget Titanic and look at his other performances from 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape, to 'Gangs of New York' to 'The Departed'.

Brad Pitt - yep another pretty boy but he can act.

Montgomery Clift - More or less forgotten now but was up there with Brando in the 1950s.

And most controversially, Tom Cruise. Hate the man but he is a fine actor despite the roles he takes. Watch 'Born on the Fourth of July'.

Daniel Day Lewis - greatest actor there is at the moment. But everyone knows that right?

beancounter

Disgruntled Goat said:
Leonardo Di Caprio - no really. Forget Titanic and look at his other performances from 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape, to 'Gangs of New York' to 'The Departed'.

Montgomery Clift - More or less forgotten now but was up there with Brando in the 1950s.

And most controversially, Tom Cruise. Hate the man but he is a fine actor despite the roles he takes. Watch 'Born on the Fourth of July'.

Daniel Day Lewis - greatest actor there is at the moment. But everyone knows that right?

Day Lewis - agreed, as good as it gets.

The others - not much cop, imho (which is not to say that I don't enjoy their films, because I do. Just not great actors).

bc

Kovu

Über Member
Leo Di Caprio is brilliant acting wise, seen him in proper films, Blood Diamond, The Departed, Romeo and Juilet then you can really see it.

An underrated actor though is Sean Bean. The guy is a brilliant british actor, but doesnt get as much praise as what he should do nor recognation.

Funtboy

Disgruntled Goat said:

Di Caprio is overrated if you ask me.
Daniel Day Lewis has had two Oscars so he doesn't fit the bill either.
Tom Cruise is scared to go out of his comfort zone and branch out a bit.
Brad Pitt - I'll give you that. He's not bad

David Thewlis is a great actor but his agent should be shot.

Kovu

Über Member
Funtboy said:

Disagree with you there quite a bit. Since his Titanic days he has been vastly underrated for his movies.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I prefer actors to be a little under-rated. Every time I watch a film that I hear has some great acting in it, I spend most my time checking out the acting instead of enjoying the film.

Funtboy

Kovu said:
Disagree with you there quite a bit. Since his Titanic days he has been vastly underrated for his movies.

I don't think so. He's championed by Scorsese isn't he? Been up for a few oscars and such like? What more do you want?

I'm with you on Bean, like.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Funtboy said:

I agree. DDL is not underrated at all, he is picky on his jobs, has worked very hard at some of them, isn't as celebrity culture or bigheaded as other people. People are confusing these lack of things with underrated.

Di Caprio had that awful role in The Beach. I've not bothered to see Blood Diamond or Catch me if You Can (which a few people seem to rate) so that is my impression.

Tom Cruise does do the same sort of stuff. I've enjoyed some of his films but he is by no means an outstanding actor. I'd say he's overrated.

Brad Pitt is exactly that, not bad (didn't like The Mexican thought).

Kovu

Über Member
Funtboy said:
I don't think so. He's championed by Scorsese isn't he? Been up for a few oscars and such like? What more do you want?

I'm with you on Bean, like.

I want him to be credited as a God like figure .... :eek:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Yes, Bean is a good actor and a nice bloke. He'd probably approach Sainthood if he wasn't a Sheffield United fan.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
As someone on the overrated thread said Michael Caine, I'm going to disagree.

Michael Caine played a highlander in Kidnapped and I didn't remember he was a cockney till he was walking up to the castle to give himself up. He also played an upper class officer in Zulu, and again I didn't notice the lack of cockney accent. He was pretty good as that charming conman in that film with Steve Martin, which was quite a different role. I think he's good, partly because you don't notice the acting.

U

User482

Yellow Fang said:
As someone on the overrated thread said Michael Caine, I'm going to disagree.

Michael Caine played a highlander in Kidnapped and I didn't remember he was a cockney till he was walking up to the castle to give himself up. He also played an upper class officer in Zulu, and again I didn't notice the lack of cockney accent. He was pretty good as that charming conman in that film with Steve Martin, which was quite a different role. I think he's good, partly because you don't notice the acting.

I think his best acting has been in his later career - check out Last Orders, Little Voice, and The Cider House Rules.

Top Bottom