"Unfair" Fine for using bus lane?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is this a case of "Laws are for OTHER people, not for ME" or what?

The driver of this Ford Focus is outraged at the injustice of being fined for driving in the bus lane

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4HFhsy__CI&feature=youtu.be[/media]

£60 PCN for using 20 feet of bus lane in order to avoid traffic turning right at traffic lights so I can go left towards St Marys Gate. Sheffield City Council Parking Services have got to be joking!!! I'm in the blue/green V reg Ford Focus

or

"A fine for illegally using the bus lane to beat the other queuing traffic - what a joke!!"

Despite there being umpteen warning signs that Bus Lane cameras are active, and a public information campaign in the Sheffield Star warning drivers of the new cameras before they were switched on

The driver obtained this footage to use in defence of the fine and seems to expect "the angle of the car at the beginning of the clip" to excuse it.

Nice to see the cameras ARE active and ARE being manned :smile:

I don't get what their excuse was ? 'the car in front done it so I did too' ?

Is it a bus lane?

Are you driving a bus?

If you are not driving a bus - you are in the wrong..... SIMPLES!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
nah, some people just hate the injustice of being caught bang to rights. Ignoring how many times they've got away with being over the speed limit, going through a light too late, treating a 'stop' as a giveway etc

StuartG

slower but further
20ft?

I know high magnification photoshots can be deceptive but a Focus is over 14ft long and is well within the lane well before it ends. And unless it can travel sideways it would have taken at least a couple of lengths entering the lane. More like 60ft overall I guess.

But we mustn't let get facts get in the way of the WOTM can we?

The trouble is instead of a repentant driver who improves their driving - this guy is just going to get angrier that his behaviour is all somebody else's fault and he is just being picked on. Poor lad. Poor cyclist who inadvertently winds him up ...

martint235

Dog on a bike
Our local paper is full of stuff like this. "I parked with two wheels on the pavement but I was only gone for 30 seconds and I got a £60 fine. Don't these people have better things to do?" Well no not when idiots make it easy for them to rake in money. I've actually emailed my council to say that if they stuck a camera car across the road from my house, it would pay for itself in about 3 months.

However the best one was the woman who parked on my driveway, not across it actually on it, and came back and said "but I was only gone a couple of minutes". My response is unrepeatable but it did have the words "there's a car park 50 yards away, use it" in it.

lit

Not a bus or bicycle or possibly motorbike, stay out the bus lane or suck it up.

davefb

Guru
Our local paper is full of stuff like this. "I parked with two wheels on the pavement but I was only gone for 30 seconds and I got a £60 fine. Don't these people have better things to do?" Well no not when idiots make it easy for them to rake in money. I've actually emailed my council to say that if they stuck a camera car across the road from my house, it would pay for itself in about 3 months.

However the best one was the woman who parked on my driveway, not across it actually on it, and came back and said "but I was only gone a couple of minutes". My response is unrepeatable but it did have the words "there's a car park 50 yards away, use it" in it.

*really* used to wind me up when I saw manchester councils little 2seater with camera on the top which spots the 'poor motorists' perhaps driving down the bus lane..

mainly because it was always not there when some muppet decides to fly down the lane and thus gets away with it, grrrrr..

on your driveway ? think i'd have blocked her in... or maybe asked her for the 20quid charge... i mean, you do charge 20quid per day for parking dont you?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The problem with Bus Lanes in Sheffield is there are a large number of bus lanes and virtually non-existent enforcement until recent years. People have had years and years of bad habits and getting away with it. To be fair to ultra angry motorists, enforcing the bus lane on queens road in that direction doesn't make quite as much sense having just spent a fortune putting in an extra lane on an adjacent bit of road!

A very similar thing happened with the bus gate on City Road which I regularly use and which vehicles routinely break. A while back the police decided to do the bi-centennial bit of enforcement for that and handed out some tickets to great surprise and some great tempers.

martint235

Dog on a bike
*really* used to wind me up when I saw manchester councils little 2seater with camera on the top which spots the 'poor motorists' perhaps driving down the bus lane..

mainly because it was always not there when some muppet decides to fly down the lane and thus gets away with it, grrrrr..

on your driveway ? think i'd have blocked her in... or maybe asked her for the 20quid charge... i mean, you do charge 20quid per day for parking dont you?

Unfortunately I don't actually own a car and I was too livid to think of charging!

davefb

Guru
Unfortunately I don't actually own a car and I was too livid to think of charging!

couple of wheelie bins ;)

mate used to have loads of trouble before the local football team moved its ground,,, and whilst they made parking difficult, nobody ever had the cheek to park on the actual drive!

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Well, I happened to be going this way today and I calculate that in the space of my travelling down the 800 yard stretch of road, Sheffield Council issued around £420 in fines.

Clear signs all the way

Then a WVM on a bus gate with a camera later on. Clear signs. I even helpfully pointed at the sign for him whilst we were at the red light, he still had a chance to turn and avoid a fine. No doubt he'll complain that the council had a nerve to issue a fine because he is different to everyone else.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Well it appears that my comments have caused him to reassess and he's going to pay up this morning. :rolleyes:
Why do I get the feeling his comment was sarcastic?....
If this guy appeals it, Sheffield taxpayers will now foot the bill for administering their side of the appeal process. Maybe he just figures he'll get the most out of his £60?

Top Bottom