Update:

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tango_kid

Sorry i havent replied much recently i have been on m hoidays :ohmy:

Well i fiddled and found out that the previous owner had a screw on the front brakes which had bad threads so i relaced that and had a washer put in.

That seemed to sort out the front brakes when they had been put in place.

It then turned out that a spring in the gear changer had been put in out of place. So when that had been addresed the gears began to work. ;)

Now i have just bought some back brakes off ebay and when they are fitted i will just need to use minor adjustments to get the bike back working well again.

cheers for all the encouragement,
Mike

P.S. If i were to ride my bike into school what would be the cheapest lock which you would trust to keep it secure (one which i can leave at school). As i have bought a £5 cheap lock but am not sure this would work.

How rough is your school? ;) If you have a decent lockup with CCTV surveillance like I did when I was at school, you shouldnt need anything too robust.

... how much do you trust your classmates? !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That onguard would probably do - I've got their Beast chain - leave that one at work.

It will be way better than what the others had. Also use the cable to secure the front wheel - 80cm won't do both.

OP
OP
T

tango_kid

Cheers, only the front brake to go now...:blush:
The school isnt the worst but there have been bikes stolen before.
I took the bike out today on a short 9 miler and although i do not know the exact average speed i am sure it was well over my record of 15. Also i beat my top speed record on a flat and wasnt going all out as i do not trust the front brale 100% :smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Another place to look for locks can be on Amazon - they do Onguard and Magnum locks. If your lock is better than the average locks in the bike shed then your bike should be OK - but don't leave it overnight there. At my son's school that seems to = 50% chance of it going missing if left overnight, whereas only a few go missing during school hours over the whole year - usually the ones with £5 cable locks. Also you can probably leave the lock at school each night rather than lugging it home to save on a bit of weight (though that might depend on whether you need to lock it up elsewhere or at home).

Top Bottom