Upgrading friction shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Old raleigh ladies racer 5 speed, single chainring on the front, and while everythings working, i want to put riser bars on and remove the downtube friction shifters (5 speed)and add a double chainset as well. Shes struggling with the downtube shifters so i want to put shifters on the bars.
Obvious choice would be some friction bar mounted ones..but can i fit indexed shifters instead ? The rear mech is an old Sachs Huret...mind thats easy enough to upgrade if neccessary. Will the Huret mech function with indexing ?

Am i likely to face problems...don't see why, but any thoughts ?

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Actually, i can see one problem straight away...lack of cable adjusters. Going to look for some band-on cable adjusters, otherwise i'll never get the cable tension right.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I doubt you'll get a Huret mech to index. Been there, tried that.
I'd get a new Shimano one, a 6 speed block and a set of Gripshifters. Even a cheap Tourney mech will index nicely.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
I doubt you'll get a Huret mech to index. Been there, tried that.
I'd get a new Shimano one, a 6 speed block and a set of Gripshifters. Even a cheap Tourney mech will index nicely.

Just the kind of info i need Doc...save me wasting time mucking about. Funnily enough, ive got a brand new tourney rear mech in the cupboard ...£4 from a carboot. I knew it may be useful one day. That saves the need for adjusters, already on the mech.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Hang on a sec - depending on the rear hub and OLD it might not be so straightforward to put a 6 speed block on. If you do, you are likely to have to put spacers in, which has the knock-on effect of having to re-dish the wheel to avoid asymmetry, as explained here.

Why not just get a 5 speed shifter? As the good people from Rivendell have recommended, Sunrace thumb shifters are likely your best bet. As a matter of fact you can get them for friction (for the future extra front ring?) as well as indexed for 7, 6 and indeed [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sunrace-5-speed-thumb-shifter-cable-New-unused-/380274791713"]5 speed[/url]. The latter should work perfectly with your Tourney rear mech and the existing 5 speed block.

If you buy us drinks, we won't tell her how cheap these parts happen to be.
rolleyes.gif

Top Bottom