Urgent - Break Removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Valiant

Veteran
Urgent - Brake Removal

My rear brake is stuck, I've applied WD40 a couple of hours ago and the most it will do is budge sideways but not unscrew at all, and now the rear allen recessed nut is starting to wear away. I need to sort this tonight as tomorrow I go touring :S

How to remove?

OP
OP
Valiant

Valiant

Veteran
Right I've hacksawed through the bolt, but the it still won't budge after being hit by a hammer.

OP
OP
Valiant

Valiant

Veteran
No the bolt and nut is. No ammount of hammering is working and nor is drilling it (only have wood and masonry bits).

Damnit need to be at the airport at 9am!

OP
OP
Valiant

Valiant

Veteran
In Limehouse, I've given up now, will take the bike with the one front brake and try and get it sorted in Malta.

curve

Why do things always go wrong at the most inappropriate times?
Hope you get it sorted and have a great tour.

OP
OP
Valiant

Valiant

Veteran
On our way to the apartment in Malta, I dropped my bike into the bike shop that had opened almost next door. Told him what was wrong and between us we weren't hopeful but a few hours later I recieved a call from the bloke who said it was done and off I went to pick it up.

And there it was, my bike all nice and shiney, I asked him how he got it out. He drilled out the bolt but the nut was still in and not budging, so he got a bolt with a big head on it, and used a blow torch to heat up the brake bridge and then whacked the bolt with a huge hammer several time. He then fitted the brake caliper, put in a new cable, adjusted both calipers and gave the pads a roughen up, trued my wheels, cleaned and adjusting my drive train and then gave the bike a quick clean. He actually did a ruddy good job. So I ask him how much, he doesn't anything. I offer him 40 Euros, he puts his hands up in protest, I offer him 10 Euros and he still refused. So I shook his hand and off I went around the block for a quick spin. He really did do a great job.

I brought him a bottle of wine a couple of days later and both myself and TT went in there, only after forcing him did he accept the bottle of wine and even then he was embarrassed, so in return he gave us 4 energy bars. A throughly nice bloke he was.

gbb

Legendary Member
Good news Valiant..
As you may already know, the main roads are'nt that good in malta, plenty of potholes and poor surface.
I did wish i'd had the bike with me when out of the main towns....i enjoyed my stay.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
The bloke in the bike shop had obvious heard that there are people on here who think Malta is a shoot hole, and he obviously wanted to make amends for his whole country.

But actually to me, it just sounds like Malta!

Top Bottom