USB Power Pack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Has anyone got a USB Power pack they can recommend?
There's dozens of different types out there - too much choice!

Cheers.

Cheule

If you mean a power brick that has USB connectors amongst others to keep you going on the move, then I've heard nothing but good things about the Pebble. :thumbsup:

yello

I've used a couple of cheap (ish) ones from gomadic.com to charge my Edge 305. They work but they're not very robust and I've managed to break both with general wear and tear (i.e. road bounce).

zacklaws

Guru
I've used a couple of cheap (ish) ones from gomadic.com to charge my Edge 305.

I too am searching for similar to charge my "305" for when I do my Beverley to London and back ride in four days next year. I have heard the "Pocket Monkey" is well recomended but I have not looked into it too deeply yet. There is also another one which gets well recomended on a fishing forum I use, but cannot recall its name, but it is sold on Ebay.

Ideally I want one that will take double AA's, and then that will alleviate the problem of having to recharge a rechargeable on long wild rides in the middle of nowhere and living rough with just the odd shop around.

yello

Ideally I want one that will take double AA's, and then that will alleviate the problem of having to recharge a rechargeable on long wild rides in the middle of nowhere and living rough with just the odd shop around.

The Gomadic ones I used did just that. The one pictured doesn't take rechargables, just standard alkalines, because it's a bit small. Gomadic sent me (free of charge!) the one that takes rechargeables. They both worked well enough but, sadly and as I said, both broke. That's not said to dissuade you however, just to warn you!

yello

There are also a number of mobile phone chargers than run from batteries that may also do the job... IF you know what you're looking for! Personally, I'm not brave enough to buy something that doesn't say specifically that it'll do what I want!

Equally, if you've the skills, you can make one yourself! The MintyBoost kit comes with all the bits you need!

I have a Power Monkey which is absolutely excellent for most applications, but also have a Mini Gorilla that will power laptops as well as the USB driven items.

rusky

CC Addict

yello

I'd really like to see some more options in line with the zl's question; i.e. a charger that takes batteries. The suggestions made so far are very good options but themselves need a USB port or AC mains to charge, so not really what interests me.

I know there are such chargers out there but I haven't read testimonies giving any particular product a ringing endorsement.

Top Bottom