Use of the word "moton"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Debian

Can we all please stop it?

A number of posters use the term as a global word to describe all motorists. It's a highly derogatory and insulting term as you know, being derived from MOTorist and morON.

It does our cause no good at all when "outsiders" see such comments, even me as a very pro-cycling person thinks "lycra lout" whenever I see the word used.

It does no harm to be courteous towards others even when we don't agree with their methods and motives. Being derogatory towards any person or group usually achieves little or nothing and can even be counter-productive.

Jezston

Über Member
+1. I understand the expression being used for idiot drivers, but ALL drivers? Stop it.

thomas

the tank engine
Does it really matter?

It is far from being highly derogatory and insulting. Highly derogatory and insulting is what I might yell under red mist and would probably come up with stars on here.

Yes, 'driver' may be more appropriate at times....but I'm not too bothered by the term lycra lout.

Cab

Debian said:
Of course the term is insulting.

Isn't that the purpose of using it though? If you're using it to describe a motorist who you believe to be a moron, whats the problem?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The day I & other cyclists don't get shouted at and called every name under the sun for no reason and treated with respect as fellow road users is the day I stop using it.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Are we not talking at cross purposes here? Seems to me Debian's objecting to its use as a term for 'motorist', while others wish to retain it as an insult for bad motorists. Not sure I see a contradiction there.

FWIW, I don't think it is used generally, as a rule. We're all much too polite.

When I use the term "Moton" I have never used it in a way to define motorists as morons so I really don't know what this thread is about.

Also Mr/Mrs Debian please try looking up two tems on Google.

Moton
Lycra Lout

Which on has a definition and which one doesn't?

Cab

MacB said:
I agree with Debian, I don't see any positives from use of the word and see plenty of negatives.

Thats the entire point of using it. Its an insult for a motorist who is a moron. Having words of abuse for those who deserve them ain't a bad thing.

Lizban

ianrauk said:
The day I & other cyclists don't get shouted at and called every name under the sun for no reason and treated with respect as fellow road users is the day I stop using it.

'The day that cyclists stop jumping read lights and riding on pavements is the day drivers stop the name calling.'

And so the cycle continues to spiral ever so slowly downwards

Ok I will use "cager" for the pc brigade.I never intended it to be an insult.

Hopefully this will stop the (cagers) driving into me when they feel like it....or when they just want to bully me.

Is it ok to use cagers?

For some reason I don't particulary like the term cagers,but as the other term upsets people on here it looks like I have to use it.

I actually though "motons" was a lazy shorter way of saying "motorist".

Top Bottom