Using a phone while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simoncc

This morning I was badly cut up by a motorist and decided to tell him what I thought as he waited in a traffic queue. I was obviously annoying him and he started to film me on his phone, so I filmed him on my phone filming me! I showed the film to a policeman at a police station as evidence of someone using a mobile phone while in charge of a car. The policeman said he'll look into it. Any one know the law on this?

spindrift

Any one know the law on this?

Driovers can't do it, even when stationary.

Well done for a post not complaining about PC or the beeb, by the way.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Mind you don't get done as well

http://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q604.htm said:
Whilst using a hand held mobile phone whilst cycling is not illegal per se you could commit an offence of careless riding or riding without due care and consideration. It is also not advisable for the obvious safety reasons.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yesterday I remonstrated with a woman driving, whilst on the phone, right outside Bromley South and the police station there. She'd gone half way across the crossing that I and miniMikey were about to cross because she wasn't paying attention.

She tried to ignore me at first, then when her 7y/o in the front tapped her arm to point me out to her, she hit his arm out the way. Then I got louder and louder, so much so that the whole high street turned round to look at us. She eventually put the phone down when I started to film her with my mobile phone, swore at me, pulled a few signs, and left. Result!!!!

My Mrs was well embarrased, she was waiting for me at the station, LOL.

domtyler

Über Member
BentMikey said:
Yesterday I remonstrated with a woman driving, whilst on the phone, right outside Bromley South and the police station there. She'd gone half way across the crossing that I and miniMikey were about to cross because she wasn't paying attention.

She tried to ignore me at first, then when her 7y/o in the front tapped her arm to point me out to her, she hit his arm out the way. Then I got louder and louder, so much so that the whole high street turned round to look at us. She eventually put the phone down when I started to film her with my mobile phone, swore at me, pulled a few signs, and left. Result!!!!

My Mrs was well embarrased, she was waiting for me at the station, LOL.

Class! ;) Would love to have seen that one! :blush:

OP
OP
S

simoncc

spindrift said:
Any one know the law on this?

Driovers can't do it, even when stationary.

Well done for a post not complaining about PC or the beeb, by the way.

Thank you for congratulating me on not mentioning soapbox topics in the commuting section. What a shame I can't congratulate you for the same thing!

spindrift

Someone I know shouts:

"Are you mad? Are you mad!!"

at drivers on mobiles till people start looking and the driver sheepishly hangs up.

levad

Veteran
A colleague of mine got done for moving his phone from his shirt pocket to the dashboard. I guess the offence really is driving whilst handling a mobile phone.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
simoncc said:
This morning I was badly cut up by a motorist and decided to tell him what I thought as he waited in a traffic queue. I was obviously annoying him and he started to film me on his phone, so I filmed him on my phone filming me! I showed the film to a policeman at a police station as evidence of someone using a mobile phone while in charge of a car. The policeman said he'll look into it. Any one know the law on this?

We've had this one before. If you had two feet on the floor isn't it not regarded as riding, whereas the same can't be said at all for driving. The SI covering mobile use is pretty watertight and as you're filming someone who has pehaps shown aggression towards you the police might not be particularly amused. It's illegal for him to film you but not the other way round. I'd have thought the police would side with simon for those 3 reasons v 1 iffy reason the other way round. Great idea btw simoncc.

Classic today:

Two lanes of traffic moving slowly towards the lights. Two young twunts in a chavved-up hatchback, window open, driver on the phone. 20" silently approaches and yells "GET OFF THE PHONE!" at the top of my voice through the open window. Shock, fumble, near wetting of pants by twunt.

hackbike 6

Why do people get so upset when you try and point out how dangerous it is?

I just shook my head at a woman the other day and she got the hump and took the trouble to shout something out of her car door window...I think it was "Im ringing up to get a brain transplant"

A big vehicle in front of me near Southwark Bridge drifiting left into the cycle land then I realised the twunt was yapping on his mobile.Both horns came into action due to me being in impending danger because I didn't realise at first why the twunt was drifting.The muppet put his phone down after this.

Human beings are not clever enough to Drive and use the mobile at the same time.

Some of them aren't clever enough to cross the road sensibly.

domd1979

Veteran
Couple of weeks back, had gone for a drink with some people from work in a village pub. Walking out of the pub (and there's 8 of us), which is by a mini-roundabout, a BMW comes past. Someone points out driver is on the phone, so as we cross the road behind him, I bashed on the driver's window, and carried on across the road. Talk about light the blue touch paper.... Car is slammed into reverse, bloke then leaps out of car and comes after us (or rather me) yelling that he's going to do this that and the other because I'd hit his window!! Apparently nothing wrong with being on the phone then. If you can afford a BMW, you can afford a hands free kit, or better still just stop to use the bloody phone. Not entirely sure what was said to him then, but he got in his car and disappeared rather than attempt to carry out any of his threats.

hackbike 6 said:
Why do people get so upset when you try and point out how dangerous it is?

I just shook my head at a woman the other day and she got the hump and took the trouble to shout something out of her car door window...I think it was "Im ringing up to get a brain transplant"

A big vehicle in front of me near Southwark Bridge drifiting left into the cycle land then I realised the twunt was yapping on his mobile.Both horns came into action due to me being in impending danger because I didn't realise at first why the twunt was drifting.The muppet put his phone down after this.

Top Bottom