Using a smartphone as a satnav on a cycle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamieRegan

I'm doing a 300 mile ride next year, up through the Scottish Highlands and Islands - my first one and hopefully not the last. I'm reluctant to fork out lots of money for a satnav just in case I hate the whole experience and never do anything on this scale again (I doubt it, but...). i can see how a satnav would be handier than using maps on a cycle, particularly when it comes to getting onto cycle tracks, rather than more obvious roads.

I have a HTC Wildfire S and also an old iPhone 3, which still works ok. Does the available mapping software for these work well, or not?

Any experiences you can share would be appreciated.

The inbuilt Google Maps software on the iPhone works fine or you can download one of the free or paid for navigation apps which save you having to download the maps on the go. The only disadvantage is it runs the battery down quite fast so you either need, as I do, to switch it on just when you need to know where you are/are going or get one of the booster battery packs that allow you to recharge it on the go.

amaferanga

Veteran
Buy a Garmin. The cheapest option for navigation with maps is probably the Garmin Etrex legend HCx - a bit over £100 (with a bike mount and free OSM maps). I have one of these and used it to navigate LEJOG as well as numerous rides in the Peak District. Phones are crap for bike navigation for a number of reasons. If you find you don't need the Garmin then you can sell it on - resale value is pretty good, particularly for new-ish devices that are still under warranty.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
In general, GPS works fine on smart phones if you have an external antenna. Getting one with bluetooth is easy enough, but a lot of people don't seem to consider this for some reason.

snorri

Legendary Member
I'm doing a 300 mile ride next year, up through the Scottish Highlands and Islands . I'm reluctant to fork out lots of money for a satnav just in case I hate the whole experience and never do anything on this scale again
Any experiences you can share would be appreciated.
Although the Highlands and Islands covers a vast area, there are actually few roads so I would question the advantage of a satnav over a simple road map and pocket compass. Apart from the initial expense, the problems and cost of battery replacement/charging has to be considered.
Also, getting a bit lost provides a good opportunity to speak to the locals which can greatly enrich any tour.:thumbsup:

thnurg

Rebel without a clue
It gets damp in Scotland. Will this be you?

white-trash-repairs-because-having-it-out-of-reach-for-minutes-is-unacceptable.jpg

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Phones are crap for bike navigation for a number of reasons.
a) weatherproofing
b) battery life is generally something like 3 or 4 hours if you leave it on all the time - less than a day's ride. If you turn it off between junctions there are delays whilst if re-finds the GPS satellites (depend on how long the phone's been off), and you don't get to record a track of where you've been. To keep it on full time, you'd want to look at some sort of external power supply - either a powermonkey style pack recharged every night, or a dynohub with add on USB supply (eg B+M eWerk), possibly with a cache battery if your phone turns off when the USB supply is interrupted when you stop. iPhones generally don't like non-Apple accessories so would limit your choice.
c) the screen can be difficult - phone screens mostly depend on a backlight, which doesn't compete well with bright daylight, plus reflections. GPS have outdoor screens with a reflective layer behind the LCD.
d) if you rely on on-line maps, there are areas with no coverage to think about.

albion

Guru
In general, GPS works fine on smart phones if you have an external antenna. Getting one with bluetooth is easy enough, but a lot of people don't seem to consider this for some reason.
Yours sounds a bit ancient.

No antenna or mobile network is needed on mine, even when hidden away inside a backpack.

No antenna or mobile network is needed on mine, even when hidden away inside a backpack.

Ditto and running an app like Cyclemeter you can keep a track of your route while its in your back pocket and then switch on the internet connection for mapping when you need it to know where next.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

Given that the phone in question is among other things famous for it's assisted GPS, your comment seems a bit bizarre and unhelpful. There we go, people are entitled to their opinions, not forcing anyone to buy anything. The battery on the S is not great either, a rather prescient point.

albion

Guru
You alluded that phones need an external GPS antenna which is very much going against the grain.
Which bit of mine is unhelpful? I have two cheap Android phones and both work perfectly hidden away in a backback, even without use of the extra A-GPS bit on top of GPS.

It's not my fault your phone sounds faulty.

Top Bottom