Using SPDs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robg

Probably a silly question but I need some SPD help. I have just fitted them to my new SCR4 (first road bike and loving it) and I'm trying to work out how to get the most from them. Do you have to consciously pull up on them or does it sort of flow naturally? I am having trouble pulling on one whilst pushing on the other...never was very coordinated!

Chris James

Über Member
Just comes naturally. Not really a great idea to pull up (unless on a very steep hill when you need all the help you can get) as your hamstrings aren't as strong as your quads.

Just concentrate on trying to adopt a smooth cycling style and not 'stamping' on the pedals.

peekay76

Just concentrate on making the legs go round in circles. Then if you want to go faster try to make the legs go round in bigger circles. Sounds daft considering you have a fixed crank length but it really does work.

rootes

yes need to develop so you learn to pedal in a circular motion rather than stamp stamp stamp..

you will find that it is easier to do this on one of your legs than the other

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'm only conscious of pulling up when I'm putting in a lot of effort (trying to get round a roundabout quickly, or charging up a hill, f'example). Most of the time you won't be aware of it after the first month or so, I'd say (but it will be happening :tongue: )

RedBike

The best advice I was given is to pretend you're scraping mud off your shoe. Drag your foot back at the bottom of the pedal stroke.

I wouldn't worry about 'pulling up'. I only seem to noticably pull on the pedals when i'm putting a lot of effort in.

Top Bottom